how can a line cord affect frequency response ?

i have personally auditioned over 10 different manufacturer's line cords. i hear differences. i don;'t understand how a line cord can affect treble response or bass response.

can someone provide an explanation ?
mrtennis
Spatial King,
I was describing the very basics of amplifer power supplies, paying particular attention to the rectifer output/resevoir cap.

I know that the power bandwidth of most amps easliy extends beyond 20 kHz.
Perhaps I did not articulate my thoughts precise enough, but I was not suggesting that an ampllifer's bandwidth is the same as the transformer.
I was purposely not getting into too much detail.
The question that Mr Tennis asked was how can ac-line cords affect frequency response. My simple answer is: I think that if there are ferrites or other inductive material involved in the construction of the cord, the inductance of this particular ac-cord may impede sudden fluctuations in current.

At the crest of the rectifed pulse, ie the charging pulse, the secondary of the transformer is now dumping current to the cap and the output device. It has to be this way or Kirchhoff's current law is full of hot air, which is not the case. The point I was trying to make is that during this brief moment the required current must ultimately come from the ac-line. If the ac-line is heavily inductive the instantaneous current performance may suffer.
I have never tested this theory on a real amp with different power cords. I have done circuit simulations in PSpice and i'm just throwing this out there as one way high frequencies or dynamics may be affected by PC's.

Spatialking,

What technical articals are you extracting your "voltage bandwidth" vs "current bandwidth" findings from, with regards to this topic and powersupply requirements?
i had this experience yesterday.

i was listening to my stereo system using an all copper line cord, gold furutech connectors, no solder connections, some dampening material in the cord feeding a tube amp.

i listened for a few minutes and changed the power cord. the second cord, had the same connectors, method of connection, dampening material, with copper and gold metals.

i heard a difference--a shift in the frequency response.

one line cord seemed to provide more extension top to bottom, while with the other there was some attenuation at the frequency extremes.

can anyone offer an explantion ?
I can offer one explanation.

You have an open mind, experiment and listen for changes in your system. That puts you way ahead of the naysayers at this site who believe NOTHING of this sort can be detected by the human ear :^).
Mrtennis,

Without personally witnessing your comparison technique, no one really knows what you're hearing.

Look, there is only a tiny percentage of Agon readers with adequate electronics background qualified to give explanations on electronics theory, based on decades of engineering facts. Instead of gambling on subjective reader opinions, call a spectrum of reputable manufacturers that aren't MARKETING cords with their gear.

It's amazing how so many put all kinds of faith into aftermarket companies peddling endless claims (not limited to audio), but the actual component ENGINEER'S aren't given enough credit for their designs and requirements. It's in their best interest if it made a difference, right? Speaker cabling and IC's are another issue all together.

The power cord type, supplied with a $6k amplifier (example), was sellected based on the component's power requirements, and is what was utilized to obtain the amp's engineered specifications, THUS obtaining the audible results that so-called "Audiophile reviewer's" base their "positive" articles on. (An entire story of it's own)

The more you know about electronics/powersupplies, you'll begin to understand why alternate cord conductors will have no affect on the component's output FREQUENCY response. I'm always open for further education, but please base it on engineering facts, or post some reputable articles for all of us to read, and preferably un-biased.

It is well understood how/why humans can convince their senses into believing all kinds things, and is why placebo and advertizing (all industries) work so well.