How good is your hearing ? And how do you know ?

Sometimes I have a big laugh when reading this forum. There are clearly people whose hearing is, shall I say, very special. So why buy good stuff ?
inna
Having begun to experience hearing loss and concomitant tinnitus in my 60s, I finally opted fir a set of (relatively) high-end Phonaks, which were computer-tuned to audio spectrum of greatest loss, round 4000 Hz, +/- 500 Hz.  Listening to a variety of music on a “mid-fi” rig there is a clear improvement in overall detail in the mid-frequencies, with little difference noted in the two extremes.  Now, with hearing compromised, it doesn’t seem worthwhile to go all-in spendy for system upgrades, as the gain in detailed nuances would probably be washed out, or somewhat distorted by the hearing appliances.  However, I would be interested in hearing from audiophiles who indeed have compromised hearing, use aids, and can ascertain sonic differences between various pieces of hi-fi kit as one moves up the quality ladder.
@cleeds 
@ d2girls

I never said I could hear 7 hz, I was quoting a previous post who said they could. 
Test was maybe 4 months ago, 13k is it for me now which frankly I am surprised I still am at that level.
With all the live bands up against the massive stacks of the 70,s and 80,s. Playing bass in my band.
And working in heavy machinery manufacturing for last 40 years!

Fortunately no tinnitus yet!

Yes I wear custom ear plugs at work and have done for decades but not at concerts or when I was playing bass and I was always astonished at what spl I could achieve with a Peavey 100watt tube head and 2x15 cab!

Now how does any of that affect my listening enjoyment or ability to detect changes with different components, cables, tweaks etc?

Not at all I believe.

I am happy, I can hear changes, I enjoy my music, like right now.
That is all that matters to me.
Don't worry too much, as mentioned, I can currently only hear up to about 12k, and even to hear that I will have to really concentrate. But I could clearly differentiate between my Gryphon Mephisto power amp and my CH Precision M1 amp. Both being good power amps, but with different sound. So most likely it doesn't have too much to do with frequency, it's just a different sound, and some people will choose amp A, others amp B. 
Finally. Someone has a great transistor amp - Gryphon. How is FM Acoustics compared to Gryphon if you are familiar ?