How hard it is to replace the rca input on the shindo amplifier?

Hi,
Does anybody know how to replace the rca input in my Shindo Montille Ampplifier?
I bought it used from an AG member. I just discovered that my RCA input was broken. The bass out put from my speakers is distortion. Please give me instruction of how to do it. I already order the Switchcraft RCA jacks which Shindo Used for their amp.
Thanks in advanced.
Calvin
dangcaonguyen

If you haven’t soldered electronics before, then it may be more prudent to have a local repair shop do it. $100 is standard for this type of job. Typically, they will charge a minimum of 1 hour labor. Like steakster said, it can cost some money to buy good enough soldering iron and actual electronics solder. You might be close enough to the $100 already. The cheaper 25-40 watt soldering irons you can buy at home depot can work, but you may be there for a while heating up solder. This can require a long enough time where you might actually damage some element (like an IC or capacitor, etc.). Some solder points on electronics equipment and PCB can be stubborn, even for my 70 watt Hakko.

As for solder, Home Depot will probably not have the correct stuff. DO NOT buy acid core solder for electronics. For rosin core solder, you’ll want to get as thin solder as possible. Home Depot may have this, but mostly it is the thicker solder that is harder to work with on electronics. Also, for this quality of amp, you’ll probably want to get the better silver/copper type solder. You can get a small roll of Cardas solder from Parts Connexion for $25.

If you are intending to get into doing DIY stuff, then great. Soldering a new RCA input can be an easy job (depending on if you have to deal with PCB mount RCA connector or if they are just wired). Otherwise, it might be better just to have a repair shop do it.

If you're close to Monrovia (just north of Pasadena), take it into Brooks Berdan Ltd. and have the shop's tech Tom do the soldering. He is very experienced with electronics, being a maintenance engineer for a Los Angeles TV station. He routinely works on Jadis, VTL, Audio Research, and other high end lines. I'm sure he'll do it for less than a hundred bucks.
If you use proper tools and apply proper skills to solder a wire, you won't damage plastic chassis of RCA receptacles.
To see how to solder proper you can go YouTube where you will find an arsenal of instructional videos.

In this day and age there is something to be said about fixing something yourself. Heck, I've been guilty of throwing $100 and my time to fix a $20 problem, but it sure was satisfying.