How important is it for you to attain a holographic image?

I’m wondering how many A’goners consider a holographic image a must for them to enjoy their systems?  Also, how many achieve this effect on a majority of recordings?
Is good soundstaging enough, or must a three dimensional image be attained in all cases.  Indeed, is it possible to always achieve it?

128x128rvpiano
I completely disagree that the holographic image is the most important factor in arriving at the high end in audio.   The most important  factors are the rhythm, tone/harmonics and dynamics in achieving an enjoyable representation of music.   I've been to hundreds of music show rooms and salons and for the last decade, I've encountered a plethora of bad sounding/non-engaging equipment which strives to present the air, ambiance and holographic precision of the recording venue above all else.  Very often, the three main factors I've mentioned are partially or wholly missing in reproducing the musical recording event (live or recording studio).  

The finest audio system I've heard ($1.5 million von Schweikert/VAC/Kronos/etc). presented a overwhelming realism based on my three most important factors.  Sure there was air and ambiance, but what struck us most of all was the realism of the 3 factors above. 

Younger audiophiles are often unacquainted with live acoustic music heard in good acoustic venues.  I listen to classical, vocal and jazz in live venues.  (I also listen to manufactured sounds as in rock and electronic sounds as in Yello).  Essentially, the high end audio system must get the first three factors correct and will achieve the air, ambiance and holographic sound as a bonus.   How often have I heard high end systems miss the big 3 and have tons of the latter 3 bonus elements playing Diana Krall and Patricia Barber recordings.  Young audiophiles need to hear all types of music to gain an understanding as to what makes music sound good and engaging.  The last decade has had so many equipment manufacturers trying to outdo each other in the realm of air and holographic imaging.  They should be concentrating in presenting the big 3 factors first.  

It seems to me that a lot of people posting are not getting a holographic soundstage. Here's why. If you are getting a holographic soundstage you automatically get all of the above. Within the "real space" "real size" of a soundstage you get all the attributes there are to offer. If you are not getting it all you have a partial stage. Reading these responses it's pretty clear most are getting a slice and not the whole pie. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just reality.

Michael Green

Michael, no matter how many times you take these horses to the water, you can not make them drink.

Time, time, and time again, I explained that "Holography" is the end result of all the things they have mentioned, plus taking it to another level of refinement.

I don't believe they've even heard good holography, based on their comments. They don't stand a chance of creating it because they don't really know what it is; their comments remind me of the blind man describing an elephant. Some of the comments are as ridiculous as having a boat without a bottom, but since we are discussing what you hear as opposed to what you see, they don't realize that.

They're responses are because we no longer have "high end emporiums" where they could walk in and hear high end gear set up in a proper manner, in a proper room, with "audiophile" salespeople who could answer their questions.

I first heard music so life like that the artists seemed to be visible; I wanted to go up on the stage and kiss Carmen McRae. This was in 1990; today is 12/30/2018; I have been working to duplicate what I heard since the first day I heard it; now I'm working on the finishing touches to the room, which will require professional expertise.

Hi Orpheus10

You’re more than welcome to hang out with us on TuneLand. But it also may be important for you to be here. It may feel like your beating your head against the wall with some of these folks but I can tell you, there are people reading who either have or are also approaching that "real size" "real space" soundstage. As you know once you hear it the hobby changes for us, forever. 95% of the people who do find it usually don’t stay in the same hobby as you read here. It’s like one by one and then they retire to their music heaven. And it should be that way.

The thing that keeps me sane here is, when I am done here I have a list of listening friends to help or listen with. If I were an Agon lifer you'd find me sitting staring out a window somewhere.

Michael Green

once you hear it the hobby changes for us, forever

I agree. This recently happened for me. There is no going back.