How many watts??

If I have a 80 watt stereo amp and I normally listen at quarter volume and never play at levels higher than this. Do I really need 80 watts could I use a 15 watt amp at half volume?

My next question if I have speakers that my mfg states needs min 50 watts to really make them sound good with my current amp rated at 80 watts but played at qtr volume does that mean I am not really getting the best from these speakers. If I play at half volume this is too loud, do I need a bigger room. Sorry if I did not explain clearly enough.

ecpninja
Hello,
I can play my system at a little over 2% of the total volume and hear the dynamic range and stereo imaging on my system. One cheat to this is add a nice subwoofer or two. I like JLAudio or REL. I also have a JLAudio CR1 crossover so I can pick the crossover point of my front speakers to then hand off to the two subs. Some speakers have this crossover technology built in them like the new PSB T600 Synchrony speaker. I believe it has 5 crossover to produce a very good sound. Plus they play from 24 hz to 23khz. Paul Barton hit a home run on this line. The B600 bookshelf speakers are on another level too. At around $3k with stands these set the bar very high. Last but not least. You need to get rid of all that junk in your sound. Do you know there is a little more music in that album you
probably are not hearing. If you would like to hear what you are missing demo a Puritan PSM156 or PSM136 power conditioner that comes with a really nice dissipative power cord unlike some other brands. If you have not heard Puritan has the Ground Master City that lets you take this plug and play system to another level. I am talking pitch black background. Sometimes I get up to flip the record before it’s over because the space between the tracks is so quiet. They are sold across the country. This is the store in the Chicagoland area that lets you demo in your home. https://holmaudio.com/
Basically, No buyers remorse….nice!
Yes I once read an op Ed from a audiophile who stated that the sign of a good system was to see how low you could play the volume and still have it sound good.
 Not the other way around.

That's interesting. Because I heard a system one time so bad it gave me a headache. Literally had a headache driving home afterwards. It only sounded good when turned down to where you could hardly hear it. Okay frankly did not sound good even then. Turned off, then at least the room sounded pretty good. So I guess by your standard this was a really good system?
A few good watts with an SET amp will drive efficient speakers beautifully. And there are plenty of efficient speakers to be had. Huge power is only necessary with inefficient speakers and the higher the power, the more circuitry, and the harder to produce lifelike sound. 
I can drive an inefficient speaker with 44w/channel and it sounds great too at the 12 o’clock position… (The speakers are 84 or maybe 86 dB/W/1-meter.)
If the OP is playing at 1/4 of the way up, it is not likely that they are playing it at more than 1W, and at that point… then what is the fascination with the speaker’s sensitivity and efficiency?
 The "OP" probably never gets past that 1st watt....
Almost all here fail to recognize just how much actual energy a transducer can output at (1) full watt. OR just how often all that they are  listening to normally?  All is supplied by that 1st incredible watt. "For many".
Even with speakers rated (85db) sensitivity!