How to select a good Speaker Cable

Speaker cables do have a significant role in how our system sounds. Different cables sound different. 

So which one is the right one for you?

The Speaker Cable is an extension of the Amp. and not an addition to the speaker's load. It shall have a certain resistance (low) not to spoil the Amp's DF figure. As so, it can be calculated and there is a formula to do it.

The higher the Amp's DF, the lower the Speaker Cable's resistance shall be. As today SS power Amp's get DFs of 400 and above (Digital Amps go by thousands) the cable of 10 ft (3m) long, gets as thick as 0 AWG.

I can see your eyebrows elevates, when that thick cable is to be deal with. Most Speaker Cable makers skip it because of that. So most cables on the market (regardless of the look or price) are of 14-12 AWG. Way less that supposed to be.

Worst! no Speaker Cable maker, dealer or seller knows the answer, of what is the correct cable for your system. 

So most of us ended up, with a cables too thin for the task.

A conducted test, on this site, about a year ago as well as with some closer friends, shows a significant improvement with a calculated size cable over their previous cable. The results were all positive and preferred the calculated cable.

So, instead of asking: which of two brands, or two prices or two colors of Speaker Cable do I need, you should ask how thick of a Speaker Cable do I need.

I'll be happy to provide you the calculation, for who request it. All you need to provide is:

1). Length (Ft. or meter)

2). The Amp's DF figure.

Thanks

128x128b4icu
McIntosh 462 DF 40
15 feet of cable needed. 😬

Ordered Robin Hood Zero from Audioquest. Is that going to good?
This guy tries to convince you that you need a battery cable. He uses DF and feet of cable then comes up with the perfect cable even though using the same numbers you can show the difference between a crazy 0awg cable and normal 12awg cables there is an insignificant difference between the two when connected to a system He can’t seem to grasp that it’s the DIFFERENCE that matters when used in a system  not the difference setting on a shelf. 
Mr. echols8

For low DF as your Amp has, a simple wire (#14 to #12 awg) would do.

I so not think that one model will sound better than the other. Really not.
Till you move to a high DF Amp. and not a tube or tube alike (McIntosh),
I would not invest in cables at all.
Mr. djones51

You've got it wrong, not me.
The #12 awg is not any more "Normal" or #0 awg crazy. It's of what the cable makers got you to think.
It is only because it was more difficult to handle a  #0 awg cable and very easy to handle a  #12 awg.

So, keep using a bad cable at a time, it is difficult for others to make
a good one.

All who tried it out, were very happy with the results.
It did a significant improvement and difference.
The calculations were always correct and fit the results.

If for some reason, you are from the cables industry, I can understand you concern. It is time for the people to wake up and buy the right cables, not those you recommend.

Hi B4icu,My amp is a McIntosh MC452,the manual details "wide band damping factor" greater than 40. My speaker cable is 10Ga, the length is 20 feet. What do you think? Many thanks.Joe