how were copies of vinyl made in "third-party" countries

I have some LPs from the former Yugoslavia, Holland, Hungary, Russia (bought them way back when in bulk) and now I wonder what the process was and how close they are to the original? 

I assume they weren't digitized, they were released in the 70s and early 80s. Anyone knows what they would receive from the recording studio/company/warehouse? Tapes, the "negatives"? Are there copies considered better than others?

grislybutter

In Hungary, an LP was around 500 forints ($10) in the early 80s. A month’s salary was about 5000 forints. (same for a doctor as for a bus driver). Our collection grew by about 3 LPs a year around Christmas. (a gallon of milk was about 10 cents, same for a loaf of bread) 

"Apologists" for current LP prices make the case that adjusted for inflation, $35 now is actually cheaper than $5 was in the late-60’s. Is there an economist reading this who can confirm or refute that assertion?

While audiophile reissues are around $35 and up (with many at $40), non-audiophile new release LP’s can be had for as low as $20-$25, which adjusted for inflation is actually cheaper than the price of LP’s in the late-80’s, if I’m not mistaken. And used LP’s can be obtained for mere peanuts, as low as $2 if you look hard enough. Even at the more common $5-$10, that’s less than many LP’s sold for new. The challenge is finding them in Near Mint/Mint - condition.

I recently bought a U.S. Island Records pressing of State Of The Union by The Long Ryders (they were part of the Los Angeles-based Cowpunk movement of the 1980’s. Drummer Greg Sowders was married to Lucinda Williams at the time.). The Discogs seller listed the LP with a Near Mint grading, but when I removed the LP from it’s sleeve I found a big ’ol scratch across the first track on one side. I notified the seller that was unacceptable, and he refunded my entire purchase price ($10 plus shipping and state tax).

But there was another problem with the LP, one not of the sellers making: looking closely at the surface of the LP under harsh light (my normal procedure), I could see flaws in the PVC itself, manufacturing imperfections. On one side there were tiny little "pimples", on the opposite side the same size "dimples". The little holes may have been large enough for the tip of a stylus to become lodged in, and there was no way I was going to find out by playing the LP!

I went on Discogs and found a UK Island pressing, priced only $5 more ($15). The album was recorded in England, produced by Will Burch, the drummer of Power Pop group The Records. It just arrived, and is in Mint condition and free of any manufacturing defects. Another case of a UK pressing being superior to a USA pos LP.

@bdp24 

You always have some cool "insider" stories. The production master comes with a spec sheet which has a checklist. Maybe an oversight or the cutting engineer thought he knew better how to transfer the tape. 

I received a master to transfer for a band's music video. I transferred it according to the Dolby spec. When the band came to the studio to preview the video, they remarked how great the audio was, it sounded better than the album. I later called the original studio and found out they cut the record without Dolby. The album sounded very flat.

@grislybutter

I have many LP’s from the countries you brought up as examples….Yugoslavia, Holland, Hungary, Russia.

Holland? Philips manufactured in Holland. Some of the best recordings and pressings you will find consistently.

Hungary? Again, some of my best recordings and pressings by Hungaroton

Russia? Мелодия. Again, one of the best recordings and pressings you will find.

I will throw Czechoslovakian manufactured LP’s in there as well, Again, very well recorded and pressed.

These countries really care/cared about the quality of their reproduced music. In general, much better than what was manufactured in the USA overall.

In terms of ‘third party’ pressings, I have no idea. But in general, these countries have produced some of the best.

@bkeske 

my Russian LPs are way worse than the rest. And the Hungarian ones after 1985 are way worse than pre1985