I hope break in is true

This is the first time I ever bought a brand new out of the box Preamp. No, wait. Second but, the other doesn't count.
I had made previous posts about my decision to downsize.
I have, everything is kinda good. You know, Okay.
I bought a pre here. great seller, great store. Couldn't have been smoother.
I am just not used to this type of stuff. I wanted something with a phono included. I kept it well under a $1000.00
Now, I got to ask you guys. Will this thing get better???/
I have not had to worry about break in before. Does it really exist?
It is a very well built unit. Remote, I'm not used to that! That's nice. Has everything I need. Except it isn't alive. The music is there, presented very nicely. Clean, no extra stuff. Just doesn't have any dimension.
Please tell me this is going to get better:)
scottht
This disc simply consists of several different wide-bandwidth, high average power signals. It shouldn't hurt a line level tube any more than it would a transistor.

As to the cabling, you've got to use some type of "cable cooker", whether it is a commercially available product or "home brew" means very little. Getting the voltage up and using a broad-band signal is what counts. Sean
>
I just received my new merlin monitors. I`m wondering if the ayre breakin cd would be too poweerful for a single 6" woofer.
Capt: It's not that the disc is "too powerful" for any specific speaker or system, it's that it contains a high quantity of both very high and very low frequency information. So long as you keep the volume down, you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't forget about the first 5 seconds of silence on the disc before it starts with a 5 Hz tone. Cranking up the volume because you're a couple of seconds into the disc and don't hear anything can be fatal to a vented woofer. Sealed designs have built in protection when it comes to this as they have "built in" damping, which reduces the potential for over-excursion to take place.

If the woofer starts flapping like mad, which it will at very low frequencies, simply back the volume down. Having said that, the whole idea is to exercise the suspension of the drivers, so the more movement that you can get them to make in a safe manner, the quicker the break-in will be. Sean
>
Disregard my last post. On reflection, I realized all you have to do is keep the volume at an appropriately lower volume. Sheesh!

I`ll now go bang my head against a wall. I`ll relate to all how many head bangs it takes for brain break-in. :)
Sean...we must have posted at the same time. Yup, got it. Thanks for your input.

In fact, I`ve learned a few things from your posts the past few months.