I suddenly have a weird buzz issue; can someone help me solve the problem?

Hi all,

To provide some background, My system is as follows:

A “headless” Mac Mini as Roon core (my hands are tied with respect to using the MacMini, as I use Theoretica Physics BACCH4Mac cross-channel cancellation software/filtering to achieve "true" 3D sound, and this requires the player/streamer be a Mac device), outputting USB to a BelCanto RefLink USB-to-SPDIF converter, outputting SPDIF to a Mojo Audio Mystique v3+ DAC, which feeds a custom-built Dennis Had LP-2030 preamp, which outputs to a custom-built Dennis Had Inspire KT88 FireBottle SEP amplifier (max output, depending on tubes, is 12 WPC). Speakers are Coherent Audio GR-15 Neo Signatures.

All components are plugged into a Puritan PSM156 conditioner. I also have a GoldenEar Forcefield powered sub (amp is like 1200 watts) that is plugged directly into a dedicated outlet.

About a week ago, I became intrigued with the idea of powering my system completely off the grid, as even with the Puritan, I still noticed my system sounded markedly better on certain days and at certain times of day than others.  Also, there was some hum/buzz from the system, which I assumed was still AC-related, as it seemed worse at certain times of day than others.

I followed the guide from Ric Schultz here:

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Inverter_Power.html

All necessary components arrived, and I got them all hooked up.  Everything except the powered sub is plugged into the Puritan, which is now being fed by the Giandel inverter.

Interestingly, when I powered everything up, the previous hum noise is gone (yay!), and the sound is glorious when music is playing, but I now have a buzzing sound coming from my speakers (when nothing playing) that increases as I turn up the volume on my preamp. I tried installing cheater plugs on all components, lifting everything from ground, as I thought it could have something to do with the sub being plugged into the wall and the other components all going though the Puritan and the Giandel inverter, but this made no difference at all.

I would be very grateful for any advice/suggestions on what I can try.

One thing I noted is that the inverter is putting out 122 volts. I am wondering if the preamp is “unhappy” with this slightly high voltage and would prefer something closer to 115-118 volts, as read on another forum that this may be an issue and that one can test this by using a Variac, but I don’t know enough about electrical things to know whether it is a valid point or not, and I don’t know if I can plug a Variac into the inverter or not to test this possibility.

Thanks so much,

Chris

cporada
Post removed 

Tubes are consummables.  You should always have a complete spare set of tubes and when you hear something wierd, the first thing you should do is tube swapping.

Jerry

Thank you all for your suggestions.

So, I tried leaving everything connected as-is with the battery and inverter powering the Puritan, into which all components are plugged, as I'd really like to get this to work), but I powered on only the power amp with no ICs from the preamp. Silence (with subwoofer still plugged to wall socket and connected). So this rules out subwoofer and power amp, as well as all tubes in power amp.

I then connected and powered up the preamp and power amp, with nothing connected to the preamp's inputs - the buzzing returned. This rules out the Mac Mini, the BelCanto, and the DAC, as well as differing ground potentials between the components, as they were not connected (at least I think it rules these all out; please correct me if I am mistaken).

I swapped new signal tubes into the preamp - buzzing continues. I tried a new rectifier - buzzing continues. I did not try swapping the voltage regulator tubes, as I can't see why they would be the problem, but I could swap those if someone thinks they could be the issue. The preamp uses 01A tubes which, by definition, have to be from the 1920s or 1930s, because that is when that tube type was popular. I have read they can often be microphonic, but I am not sure if that could the issue and, if so, why swapping through 3 pairs of tubes made no difference.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks so much to all of you for your help,

Chris

On a serious note, I kind of remember I once stumbled on a thread (here on A'gon) related to tube amps making a hum or buzz, and I thought I remembered someone posting that either a failing transformer or failing electrolytic caps (the large power caps) could create a hum.  But I cannot remember which.

I would send everything back and put the system back the way it was.  Life is too short to be chasing noises.