It’s true what they say/and a question

Last night I heard the Marcin Wasilewski Trio in Baltimore.  Wow! Not only did it restore my faith in humanity—if three guys could produce such beauty, we as a species can do anything—it also proved the old adage that listening to live music is essential. I was enjoying the music and comparing what I heard to my system. I was very very pleased. I feel my system is fairly dialed in. Piano bass and most of the drums.  If anything the tom toms sounded a little more real, a little more fluid than at home. So here is my question: what are some tracks that reveal that tom tom sound? Cymbals, snare and bass I got. I’m looking for something that will highlight the tom toms. 

tomaswv

The Great Jazz Trio’s Direct from LA is not just the best sounding album I own, it’s the best sounding album I’ve ever heard. All three instruments are in the room on a good system. I saw Tony Williams several times in clubs in the years shortly before to shortly after it was recorded, and this captures his sound. It’s also a terrific piano recording, and there playing is first rate. 

The live version of Lingus by the band Snarky Puppy has one of the best sounding drum performances I have heard. Larnell Lewis learned the song on the flight to the gig as a fill in, and shines like the true star he is. It is one of the coolest stories in recent music lore. What class and talent that man is.

Based on the OP questions about drums. I did a little research  and came across an interview with  the Cream's drummer Ginger Baker, 1 minute in he discusses the tom toms.  As an aside I can't believe he lived to 80, if you knew the  Cream you know what I mean, Ginger cranked it up on the drums no doubt !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrN6zwL2lfs&list=PLfJvo_K2lxXoDVUH5qvAFB7nfQuswQgd6&index=4

I hadn’t heard of them. Thx! So, my first impression was they reminded me of the Keith Jarrett Trio on a live recording. It’s also interesting that their Music representative is ECM records. Which is very uncanny since Keith Jarret recorded for ECM his entire career!

Using multiple microphones to capture drum sound is not necessary. Spot miking of individual drums is rarely used in recording jazz. An a lot of great rock recordings have been made using the Glynn Johns three mike method.