Journey ending speakers

Listening to to my  stereo last night thinking about what upgrade I may do in the future. May upgrade my CD player or change phono cart or a new arm? But one of the things I will never change is my speakers. My journey has ended with the speakers I have now. Are you like me and have your forever speakers? Oh mine are a set of 30 year old 4 way JBL  Studio Monitors 4345s.
ricpan
I just got the speakers I've wanted for a few years now, the Vandersteen Quatro's.  Will they be my forever speakers?  Possibly, but there have been so many great advances in materials over the years as well as manufacturing, that the newer stuff is so much better than the older gear.  Not saying your 30 year old speakers aren't great for you.  Your ears are the only thing that matter in the equation.  I'm just saying that I hear what properly implemented carbon fiber has done for drivers.  Newer resistors and caps.  Better internal wiring.  Being able to measure internal resonance in cabinets and choosing the right thickness and or materials used in the cabinet all change the sound and usually for the best.

Those are MY reasons why I ended up with the Vandersteen Quatro's, but I can't say that I'll have them for life.  I can say that I usually own a pair of speakers for a minimum of 10 years on average.  I only got the Treo's because I could afford them, but I knew I'd sell in a couple of years to upgrade to either Quatro's or something else if I liked them better.  After listening to over 50 speakers, I chose the Quatro's and had them painted in Audi Havana Black.  LOVE THEM and that's all that matters.  
What I like about the older large foot print speakers are they push a lot of air and the sound hits you in the chest. By the way the rest of my equipment is modern.
My one-off Tannoy HPD (12" Dual Concentric drivers, ca 1975, custom built crossovers and enclosures), are my forever speakers. They cost in the $5K range to build, with very high quality parts, but I firmly believe I couldn't afford this quality of sound if I were to buy new. I do love them, and will die with them, and hand them down to my children.

Dan