Just bought a pair of GMA continuum 1s...

Hey everyone,

I just bought a pair of continuum 1s off of eBay in great shape. I have been looking at GMA speakers for over a year. I've been mostly focusing on used Europas as that is my price range.

Looking for the best sound I could get on a limited budget, I put together a high end headphone setup about 8 months ago. Well, I felt the need to change and thought it would be fun to jump back into the speaker realm.

Anywho, I just bought these for $600 plus another $200 for shipping. Based on what I have read, I think I did pretty well here... but I figured I would run it by the pros just to make sure.
djembeplay
Dude,
you are going to fall in love with those speakers !! Make sure
you follow Royi set up guidelines and the images will captivate you in a 3-Dimensional way ( that you didn't know existed).I really love my Calypso's and think that they speak in a very special way.Hope this helps and welcome aboard! Cheers Dennis
Djembeplay,
I will add my 'welcome to GMA club' salutation! :-)
Like Royj I feel that you got an incredible deal! I think that you will enjoy listening to these speakers immensely - they are "organic", real, vibrant & immediate in their sound. These speakers should involve you & bring out the emotion in the music. I personally feel that Green Mtn Audio makes the best cone-driver speakers in the market.
Additionally, you will find that dealing with Roy will be a pleasure - he is a fine gentleman, always very helpful re. shipping, re. tweaks, re. setup, re. diagnosing any issues you might in your setup & is very passionate about building speakers that sound right.
It's good to hear all the positive input! This is the result of much research into different options and opinions.

Roy, my amp is the weakest link in my chain, so it's good to hear that you put a bit more weight on the upstream components.

I have an Audio Mirror NOS DAC that sounds very nice, Jellyfish power cables and blue jeans interconnects and speaker wire. Not 'SOTA' stuff, but sounds good to me with my headphone setup.

On that note, it will be interesting to compare my headphones (AKG K701 w/ APSv3 cable) with the C1s. It will be tough to beat the clarity and accuracy, but I'm not looking for a 1-up on those attributes. K701s are great, but a bit harsh on the high end at times, and a bit lacking on the low-end. Being tethered to your sound system can feel a bit limiting as well.

Plus, I heard that well designed speakers image much better than headphones. I can't judge whether this is true yet or not because my listening awareness just wasn't in an 'audiophile' realm until fairly recently in my life. K701s are known for a deep soundstage, but it seems to only really stretch out on a select number of recordings... often times I still feel like everything is very close to me, which can be a bit confining / tiring.

Also, there is something to be said about experiencing music with good company at times... which obviously doesn't happen with headphones.

Anywho, thanks again and take care all.
We appreciate everyone's support, thank you all!

Do let me know what you hear, and do consult the speaker's Owner's Guide to obtain the best sound.

Best regards,
Roy Johnson
Designer
Green Mountain Audio
Roy-

These speakers are beautiful. This is the most balanced, lucid sound I've ever heard. My Pioneer 50wpc integrated sits at about 9:30 usually... so efficient. I can play them quite soft as well while still maintaining a clear image.

About the owners guide - I actually don't have it, but I read the one posted on your website for the GMA continuum 3's.

My room now is a bit small... it's under 8 feet wide. I brought the speakers out about 2 and a half feet from the back wall and separated them by 5 feet. I sit about 5-6 feet back... this sounds great to me.

Tejay