Kleos Sibilance

Hello Folks,

I posted this in a Delos thread but I thought I'd better start it's own thread.

I have a new Kleos in a JMW 9 Signature on a Scoutmaster. I am getting sibilance on vocals beyond what I have heard with either a Shelter 501 II or a VPI Ortofon on the same table. My dealer put the Kleos on the wand I had the VPI cart on. I have gone to 1.8g and did not solve it and I have checked the alignment. I brought the rear of the arm down as well. It may be less pronounced but it is still there. Otherwise the Kleos is quite nice. It has 3 or 4 hours on it now. I do not hear misstracking on high level passages, just sibilance and sometimes some grunge on male vocals. It is not on all vocals but it is fairly common.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobob
"...cleanly rendered sibilants and shimmering high frequency transients with no hint of edge..."

Yep, glad you brought that up, read it twice. Should have that passage memorized!

Dgarretson had said add weight to the headshell which I did. He then said more. So now I have 3g on it. Even more dampened than with just the .9g . Highs are crisper, particularly noticeable on symbols. The vocals on Captain and Me appear to have mostly cleared up. That LP was showing the most gravel in the some of the vocals. Still getting sibilance on RAM. Bass definition seems to have improved even further. Will try Norah next.
Sibilance still there on multiple LP's including Featuring Norah Jones. It is improved. The sound is really good otherwise. A bit less slam but everything is more controlled and crisper. Maybe a little HiFi sounding occasionally but very little. Just heard really nice cymbal hits that sounded real so that is definitely better. Norah gives a good try to Court and Spark but Ms. Mitchell owns that. At the risk of sounding like a broken LP, piano is so wonderful through the Kleos.

Pretty sure I cannot live with a blob of Blu-tack on the headshell!

So Dgarretson gets the prize, whatever that may not be, for recommending the weigh on the headshell trick.
I wonder if fremer had a lamp over the table to keep the cartridge warm per vpihw.

LOL

What a boatload of crap.

And from the designer no less.

UFB

Maybe used cars is a more appropriate gig.
Sibilance still there on multiple LP's including Featuring Norah Jones. It is improved. The sound is really good otherwise. A bit less slam but everything is more controlled and crisper. Maybe a little HiFi sounding occasionally but very little. Just heard really nice cymbal hits that sounded real so that is definitely better. Norah gives a good try to Court and Spark but Ms. Mitchell owns that. At the risk of sounding like a broken LP, piano is so wonderful through the Kleos.

Pretty sure I cannot live with a blob of Blu-tack on the headshell!

So Dgarretson gets the prize, whatever that may not be, for recommending the weigh on the headshell trick.
Hey Group,

I forgot to mention honorable mention to Bill for his insistence here that the issue was the tonearm. We just need to get him to stop being so shy.

So I called Donna again at Sota and ordered a refurb Star with the series V motor, composite armboard, and SME 309. They are going to mount the arm and I am going to ship them the Kleos for mounting in about 3 weeks unless they call and say they are ready for it earlier. Briefly spoke to Kirk as well. Nice folks.

When I switch back to the arm wand with the Shelter I will add more weight to that headshell and see how the Shelter responds.