Meridian CD Players

I am looking at buying a new (well used) cd player. It is between the meridian 506 and 508 series... (probably 20, not 24). I currently have a mcintosh mc-275 amp, c-22 pre-amp set up. I am wondering, what are the differences between the two products that justify the cost difference? Have any of you guys put them head to head? All I know is that the 508 comes with balanced outputs, which i dont need as my preamp doesnt have balanced inputs. What can you guys say about the difference in sound quality? Any information would really help....Thanx!
puc103
Has anyone compared the 506.24 to the 508.2? Please, give a real response... No... "meridian 508.2 are really neat! i have one!"

thanx for listenin!
My response may go against all of the others but I will give it a try. I have been an audio buff for the better part of 15 years now. I have auditioned much gear, and already gon through the money=better phase of audio. Now I consider products to really excel if the price/performance ratio is outstanding.

The 506.20 is a sleeper product from Meridian and is truly a classic in my opinion. At the price used it is untouchable. I have owned it for years and have yet to find a CD player even close in performance.

The 508.20 has balanced outputs and is significantly more money. The balanced outputs are "created" using op-amps and are not truly balanced. Listening to it single ended I found it to have less bloom and sound drier than the 506.20. I would have to stretch to assume in balanced it sounds better, but personally I don't care. A player anywhere near this amount of money should excel no matter which outputs are chosen.

Buy the 506.20 or 24. They are great.
I would also be interested in hearing comparisons between the 506.24 and 508.24 as well as the 506.20 and 508.20 --