Micro RX 5000 Renaissance?

It may be just a coincidence, but looking through the various reports of the recent Munich high end event I've noticed no fewer than four (!) different turntables that all look suspiciously like the Micro RX-5000.

TW Acoustic and Kuzma launched new models visually 'inspired' by the RX-5000 design, Acoustical Systems showed a table that looks like an exact copy and DB Systems (www.micro.nl) also showed an exact copy, leaving no doubt of its objective by simply calling it 'The Tribute'. And then of course there already was the TechDas AirForce 5.

Does anyone know more about these newbies and what's under their bonnets? It would be interesting to compare their performance vis à vis the original and hear how much technology has moved forward. Or not.

While I'm a happy owner of the RX-1500G, the RX-5000 has been on my radar for quite some time. So with this Micro Renaissance going on, should I wait for a mint original to cross my path or should I go for one of these new tables? It seems Micro enthousiasts are now spoiled for choice........

edgewear
@amg56, I use three different arms. At the back left position a Reed 3P 12" on an AX-6G armbase, at the back right position an Audiocraft AC-4000MC, also on AX-6G and front right a Fidelity Research FR-64FX on AX-8G armbase. The Reed has a Van den Hul Colibri XPW Blackwood as my ’reference’ (besides that it’s definitely not fun mounting or dismounting a Colibri). With both other arms I use a variety of MC cartridges in constant rotation. Most of these are of the ’vintage’ kind. Comparing them and making new discoveries has become one of the more enjoyable aspects of my ’audio life’.

On a side note: I also have a BL-91 and I’ve made comparisons with the RX-1500. They share the same bearing and by using the same gunmetal plateau (and both using the same arm/cart combo and both on the same wall mounted frame) you can easily hear the difference between the fairly light weight wooden plinth of the BL-91 and the ’heavy metal’ approach of the RX-1500 (and likewise the RX-5000).

Contrary to what others have said here, I definitely prefer the ’heavy metal’ approach of the RX-1500, which is why I have an interest in the even heavier RX-5000. And the matter of ringing of the gunmetal plateau: this is true in ’naked form’, but when you add a CU-180 copper mat, the ringing vanishes completely. I’m sure this will also be the case with the heavier plateau of the RX-5000, although you might need the heavier CU-500 mat for this. But Micro apparently knew very well what they were doing......

@rauliruegas, What's the point of your endorsement of a $40k turntable for people interested in a RX-5000 or one of its clones? 

I'm sure it will be absolutely shocking news for some people to hear that in your opinion this NVS table is superior to modern BD tables costing over $200k. But what does this have to do with anything?

For what it's worth, I seriously question the validity of this numbers game and even doubt that performance is the main objective here. High end audio is all about 'luxury trophies for the rich' these days, just like designer bags for the girls and wrist watches for the boys. The more expensive, the better the trophy.... 

when you add a CU-180 copper mat, the ringing vanishes completely. I’m sure this will also be the case with the heavier plateau of the RX-5000, although you might need the heavier CU-500 mat for this. But Micro apparently knew very well what they were doing......

Micro Seiki gunmetal mats are amazing, not only for Micro turntables, but definitely for Technics direct drive turntables. My both Luxman PD-444 made by Micro Seiki too, but the CU-500 is too heavy for them, so i use CU-180 and even lighter Saec SS-300 which is also superb. Unfortunately i do not have appropriate turntable to use my mint- gunmetal CU-500 mat  (sold my SP-10mkII to a firend). If anyone looking for Micro CU-500 in top condition - let me know.

P.S. Also using Reed 3P "12 and Fidelity-Research FR-64fx tonearms.

I bought my BL-91L from a very knowledgeable and top nice guy in the States. I also bought the MA-505-LX arm matched to the table from him also. He had the MS gunmetal mat edge polished to a gleaming copper like colour. Cost about US$2,200. It was a weighty trans-shipment but well worth it. I love it. I have an Allaerts MC1 playing on it an it sounds great, despite the 12" arm.

There currently is a thread discussing the cleaning/rejuvenating rubber belts. The belt does do some work in the first second or two to get the platter up to a steady accurate speed so deserves some TLC.

@theophile I didn't know that for sure. I realise now had read it a while back but memory fades the older you get.

@edgewear I have the heavy MS platter on the DDX-1500. Being DD, the TT comes up to accurate speed pretty quickly. For a TT that's not young it is pretty good.

I also have a Nakamichi Dragon CT which is also "vintage" but performs beautifully (also bought from the US)

We don't see many good vintage TT's on the market Down Under. When you do see one it's pretty well used and beaten.

@chakster, the CU-500 is definitely on my radar, but unfortunately  the asking price is usually off my radar :-(.
I certainly would like to use it on the RX-1500 and move my CU-180 over to the BL-91. I assume it's not allowed to negotiate on the forum, but is there a way to engage in private communication? Perhaps a (part) trade might also be possible? 

@amg58, getting older too so I recognize this memory thing, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that one of the designers responsible for the last mega Micro tables (SX-5000 mk2 and SX-8000 mk2) is now responsible for the TechDas tables, which clearly build on the design principles of those big Micro's. Unfortunately I never heard either, so I have no idea how they compare and how much science has progressed. Or not. Basically this is the same as my original question, albeit on a much higher plane. Anyone made this comparison?

BTW, I just ran across this quote: "just buy a used Micro Seiki and don't worry about turntables anymore; built like a tank and sounds better than TTs costing over 30K USD", supposedly made by Mr. Ikeda himself. I can't verify the authenticity or the date of this quote, but it makes perfect sense to me. Mr. Ikeda designed tonearms and cartridges decades ago that still put many of the current high priced 'luxury trophies' to shame. 

For some reason I value Mr. Ikeda's judgement higher than some of these self proclaimed experts on this forum.......