Musical Fidelity M6-500i vs Kw - 500

Hello guys
I was browsing around the web today and stumbled across
the latest Super Integrated from Musical Fidelity .
This is a 500wpc into 8ohm beast similar in power to the limited edition Kw -500 , Some changes are evident between these models , The older Kw -500 has an external power supply and MM phono stage and single ended inputs only
along with 6112 milspec valves in the pre -amp section.
The Kw -500 was made in England.
The M6 - 500i has line level inputs only with 1 set of balanced inputs no valves appear to be in this unit making it solid state , The power supply of the M6-500 is onboard . The m6 -500i is made in Taiwan.
Has anyone else compared these two units ? Seems they each have advantages depending on your system setup.
I wonder if the new M6-500i would be much better ?
steam3642
Thanks Stanwal
Thats great info on the mc part of the phonostage section
I don't think i will need a mc at this stage and i have a external phono stage spare that has mc to plug into the
Kw -500 Aux input but will ask my dealer about internal mc , this is a dream amplifier for me
i would help out on weekends at the dealers shop so had quit a bit of experience listening to it when they had a demo there.
Due to my financial position i have never really had the means to go out and just purchase a brand new component of this class . Musical Fidelity have always had great reviews infact a cant think of a bad product based on there sound quality .
Hi Stanwal
I found a review of the Kw -500 in TAS magazine feb/march 2005
where they mention it having both mm/mc phonostage , my unit should arrive in the next couple of days , i will look forward to reading reviews of the M6500i as they become available , as far as i know the M6500i is not a limited edition unit of only 500 pcs . As i mentioned earlier it is not easy to get a
Kw-500 here in Australia , i live in a rural location and
hi-end retailers are on the mainland in Melbourne , i'm in Tasmania the southern island state of Australia.

Congratulation on the new KW-500 amp Stem3642!

I believe you did the right thing choosing the KW-500 over the M6500i. IMO buying new MF products is a rip-off. On the other hand, 2nd hand MF units are probably the best bargains in hi-fi.

What speakers are you using with this monster?
Hi Nvp
I am using Duntech Viscount large stand mount monitors
I have a Marantz Sa11-s1 sacd player ,Rega P3 with Ortofon
M2 Black cartridge . Next week i intend to buy a Pair of
M.J. Acoustics Pro 50mk2 subs to give the bottom end a boost .
The Kw-500 is just a remarkable amplifier 510wpc including
MM/MC phono-stage and valve pre-amp . Beautiful powerful and transparent , Plus there is the pride of ownership that there are only 500 worldwide. My advice to anyone looking for a superior amplifier to look no further . One last thing please do not be deterred by the availability of the 6112 valve as they are available , In-fact i picked up spares for $9.00 each NOS Jan Philips just last week on e.bay. Cheers.
To also add , As far as second hand products i believe that the limited edition and higher end amps are the ones to look at with M/Fidelity , Kw series amplifiers , the Trivista 300 integrated along with the Trivista Dac 21 , the Nu-Vista Integrated M3 and the 308 series come to mind . Any of these are wonderful bargains on the used market , also these models tend to have been owned by audiophile listwners and have been very well cared for and serviced.