Need suggestions on preamp

I’m mainly a headphone listener so when I got the chance to purchase a pair of Magnepan LRS speakers near my home town, I ran with it. I love Maggies and their midrange smoothness and live performance feel. I was able to find a used Parasound A21 for $1200 on Marketplace which was replacing my Adcom 545. I’m now running into a dilemma where I think the Adcom 545 sounded more detailed to me. I listen to a lot of instrumental music that I know well and I’m not getting the same level of detail as I’m getting with my headphone setup which is running balanced from my RME ADI-2 DAC. I’m using more expensive Audience AU-SX interconnects on those but even when running the RME direct into the amp (since it has volume control) I’m not getting the level of resolution I’m used to with my headphone setup (Hifiman HE1000 with a Serbian Audio HSA-1B amp).

I think the issue might be related to my preamp. I bought a Schiit Saga+ and despite running good NOS tubes or trying out passive mode I’m not getting the resolution I’m looking for. I’m looking for a recommendation on a preamp that costs between $1,000-$2,000 that will max out the resolution of the Parasound while keeping it’s effortless flow and naturalness in tact. Maybe the problem is the speakers and I really should have gone for the LRS+ or 1.7s? I know the room plays a huge role with Maggies but I live in a small apartment so for now I’m looking for any suggestions that can be fixed with gear. Thanks for any help!

128x128hikaru126

@lanx0003 - I don’t like NOS or R2R DACS or Preamps especially for detail. I’ve tried adjusting the filters on my DAC as well as I’ve had the Sonnet Morpheus DAC before and didn’t really care for it. You exchange all micro detail for tonality. When I switched from that DAC to a Schiit Yggdrasil I couldn’t believe how much detail I was leaving on the table. It really felt like a veil was over the music. I think at this point I have to accept the limitations of these speakers and go ahead with their strengths. I’m thinking of getting a Conrad Johnson preamp and calling it a day. At least that preamp should grow with me if I decide to go with some other posters suggestions of going with the brighter Monitor Audio. 

The Magnepan LRSs are, for all I tents and purposes, UNIVERSALLY reviewed as great speakers, especially for the money. The ONLY negative review came from a review based on measurements only lol. If one is rating speakers on based on a bunch of tables and squiggly lines you are absolutely doing it wrong. The only consistent minor negatives were power requirements - and I think you amp has that covered with your amp - and placement sensitivity. It took me about 3 yrs to get my placement right, especially after adding Magna Risers to my 1.7is. Wow , major improvement on what I thought were already  superb speakers. I suspect what you are missing might be satisfied by some Magna Risers for the LRSs (several models to choose from: https://magnarisers.com/our-products.html). Mine are literally perfect for me now. And, as Maggies get on the "Best" lists of most audiophile magazines year in and year out against MUCH more expensive kit, upgrading would be an exercise in futility - except for bigger Maggies lol.

I did actually build my own risers out of Oak and had a guy weld me up my design out of 1/4” steel. I have noticed a bit of an improvement by putting in a new power cord for my amp (PS Audio AC-12). I plan on upgrading fuses next. The imaging has gotten a lot sharper. 

Stands

I’m thinking of getting a Conrad Johnson preamp and calling it a day. At least that preamp should grow with me if I decide to go with some other posters suggestions of going with the brighter Monitor Audio. 

That’s not a good idea if you’re looking for the level of detail your headphones produce.  The Monitor Audio speakers aren’t bright per se — like your headphones they’re neutral and detailed and not bright (which is precisely why I recommended them) unless you pair them with bright/shrill electronics.  The CJ preamp will squelch the exact detail you’re craving, and paired with the already warm-sounding Parasound is just going further in the wrong direction IMHO.  The simplest thing would be to sell the Parasound and buy something like a Hegel integrated.  You bought the wrong amp for the sound profile you’re looking for, so better to just accept that and move on than just make more mistakes around it and make things worse.  I’m not familiar with your Maggies, but if they’re not capable of producing the level of detail you’re looking for with more neutral electronics than they should go too otherwise you’ll just never achieve what you’re looking for and never be completely happy. 

@hikaru126 
IMHO you’re doing an awful amount to try to make these Maggi’s work. Based upon the musical tastes you stated in your OP these really aren’t the best choice… Maggi’s are more acoustic guitar than Rock…and now they’re causing you to dive deeper into the rabbit hole. I can assure you, by this time next year you’ll be in one of these many scenarios…

1. You’ll have just about swapped out every piece of equipment you have thinking each swap will get you closer to your desired sound.

2. You’ll be Listening to music that sounds great on the Maggi’s but not your favorite…The good thing with this is it will open you to music genres you may have written off in the past.

3. You’ll have learnt the ropes of Ebay, US Audio Mart, Audiogone, PayPal, etc. because of all the online postings of your system you’ve been trying to unload all because you tried to make things work that don’t add up.

4. Possibility of you not enjoying your system because the sound coming out is frustrating being all the time, money and effort you put into it causing you to not want to listen to your rig as much as you’d want to.

I’m not trying to preach, just did the Maggi Route,Yes they can be great speakers with the right music and a lot of effort, heck even in one of the prior posts a guy mentions took 3 years to get em to sound right. Everyone who came to my place thought they sounded great, that’s because I knew what to demo on them, but when it came time to my critical listening, I cringed more than I wanted.

I went thru several PreAmps, (Parasound P5 & P6, Rogue RP-1, Tubes For HiFi SP-13, Odyssey Candella), Several Amps (Chi-Fi EL34’s, Carver 275, Adcom 565, Odyssey Stereo Khartago, Odyssey Kismet Extreme Monoblocks).  Did the Interconnect & Power Cable Upgrades (Cardas, Wire World, Gronberg), Added GIK Room absorption panels & Bass Traps…So believe me when I say you’re on a up hill battle.

Just speaking from my experience, take it for what it’s worth. I hope you find your happy place 🔊