New Speakers under consideration - but I’m afraid

I really like my speakers but I am considering an upgrade. I have B&W 801 S2 MkIII that I bought new in 1999 (re-coned with modded x-over). I’m afraid that what I get will not equal them and new may  just be different.

They are bi-amped with McIntosh up top and Krell on the bottom. Analog is Revox B77 and dig is Oppo 105D with Bryston DAC3.

I will also likely upgrade the DAC but this thread is about speakers.

I need a dynamic loudspeaker that is as good with chamber music as it is with acoustic jazz, rock and electronic music (everything but Country and Rap).

I haven’t heard anything yet but am considering Borrersen X3, Wilson Sasha and B&W 803 D4.

Should I be afraid or will these speakers all best a 25 yr old design?

ritter06

@OP There are a lot of used Wilson speakers around because people upgrade to newer Wilsons.

On B&W's - there's no guarantee you will like the latest generation better - they are certainly not a speaker I would choose for chamber music.

Magico A5s are worth listening to - more evenly balanced that D4 B&Ws but somewhat similar in character.

Personally, I would prefer the Sasha DAW but, while the thread is not about digital, I would not compromise the budget for a digital front end upgrade because, especially with more modern speakers, you are really going to need it.

In fact, I would suggest looking at that before changing speakers at all.

My pick would be Joseph Audio Perl. Kharmas are also dynamic with a good authority. Dynaudio confidence 50 should be also very good. I would look YG or Rockport over Wilson or BW. Later brands looks beautiful but the sound never moved me. 

Its SO subjective but as a rule: Wilsons are holographic, B&Ws are rowdy and in your face, and I've never heard Borresons so I can't opine. 

One poster mentioned Maggies. I 100% agree. Get the 1.7s with a pair of REL 7 subs. It's transformational.  

A few days ago I took the opportunity to listen to a dSC > Burmester (hybrid) > Magico S system, and it was exceptionally good.  Musical, and not fatiguing - among the very best digital SQ I have ever heard.  I tend to listen to vinyl, and this system sounded that good...

So I agree with the earlier comments stating that the Magico speakers are accurate and extremely revealing (compare to many other brands of speakers), so your font-end needs to be up to the task. 

You will hear it all, the good and the bad.  Isn't that what generations of audiophiles have been asking for from manufacturers?

Listen to the Yamaha NS-5000 from the world's largest producer of musical instruments. All three drivers are the same material so integration is seamless for your chamber music. 

Unless human ears are redesigned the only change the industry is making is less for more. Practicality must be balanced with imperative. We drove 250 miles to hear speakers. We paid to have them shipped that 250 miles.

If you need something smaller requiring less power try the TAD ME1.