New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor
tzh21y
I imagine with a different headshell the stock arm could become significantly better than with the stock headshell.
I doubt that a headshell could make that much of a difference. Changing headshells might allow the cartridge/headshell combination  to result in a mass more suited to the pickup arm than the original headshell, and of course that could improve performance. But that's a setup issue. All other things being equal, changing a headshell alone is not likely to result in "significantly better" performance from a pickup arm.
tonearm wire leads also change the sound.  thats why people make changes in these areas on a regular basis
I know you mention significantly.  well sometimes the little things are in fact a lot
tzh21y:

I have the GAE and my experience is that the arm sounds great. I actually look at it as a freebie considering the low cost of the G/GAE (low compared to the other low-tech MDF TT’s being pushed on the unsuspecting public; many times at much higher prices) tables. The arm sounds fantastic. I have heard the Triplanar on at least two Monaco TT rigs (very expensive systems) and both struggled to achieve great sound. I would say they eventually achieved good sound but certainly nothing to write home about. Granted, those are specific cases and I have NOT heard the G/GAE with a Triplanar. I probably wont as I am not a fan of that arm.

I can tell you that headshells make a big difference and one of the first things I would suggest is replacing the stock Technics headshell for a big jump in performance (and the mat has to go). I bought the LP Gear Zupreme and the Audio-Technica AT-LH18/0CC. I use the LP Gear Zupreme with one of my Denon 103R’s. The AT is awaiting the arrival of the ART 1000 Direct Power MC to arrive.