No bass on B&W 800D2

Hi,

I’ve been a B&W fan Since the late 90s and have owned many different speakers over the years. I’ve owned a pair of 802Ds (first gen) For a long time and those had always been my dream speaker. 

I recently had the opportunity to upgrade to a pair of 800D2. I had never heard the 800 or the second generation diamonds before, but was tempted by the idea of owning the flagships. I don’t like the looks and sound of the newer generation 800 so in my mind, I was upgrading to the top of the line speaker of the last generation that I like.

I’ve had these speakers for three months now, and I’ve played around with positioning and levels of my subwoofers. when I first set them up I immediately noticed a lack of bass compared to the 802’s. I listen in the near field and have the 800 approximately in the same position as the 802, although with slightly more toe in and a little further away from the wall as they seem more sensitive to room placement than the 802s did. Even pushed up to the wall there is not more bass, just boom. 

I’m powering them with a Classé sigma amp 2, which doubles to 400W a channel on 4 ohms. Before you say it’s the amp, the 802s sounded exactly the same on my Denon 4520 as they did on the Classé amp after I upgraded to that - so I don’t really subscribe to the “more power” idea and believe an amp won’t change the sound dramatically as long as it’s decent quality and has enough power. I mostly listen at lower levels anyhow. 

Has anybody had the same issue with the 800D2 lacking so much bass compared to the 802D? The midrange sounds about the same and the highs are way more tame, which I like, but this lack of low end authority is making me seriously consider selling these again which makes me sad - since they are absolutely gorgeous in the looks department. 

thanks for your thoughts in advance - would appreciate hearing from actual owners of these. 

seb_audio

Get a miniDSP umik-1 and download free REW software and measure!

Having the known quantity should lead you to the answer. I must also point out that I completely disagree with your observation about sufficiently powered amps all sounding the same. I've read that before too, but it just doesn't line up with my experience with different power amps. In addition to soundstage, tonal presentation, presence of bass/treble/mid there is also a technical performance synergy that may favor one over another with specific speakers. 

Have experience with both 802 and 800 D Series with same Mac amps and do not consider the bass to be deficient on the 800's in the same room setup.

A stretch but, if you bought used consider if previous owner had modified crossovers?

I expect not the case but are you sure the jumpers are on the bi-amp terminals?

From your msg I believe you stated limited bass w/o subs.  If not, you addressed the speaker phase but make sure the subs are in phase as well.  

Good luck...

@seb_audio 

Are you using the jumper plates on the speaker terminals? Give them a check.  I removed mine and replaced them with some cable jumpers and it made an immediate difference.

All the best.

Thanks for the response

I have extensively compared 800d2 and 802d2

they sound very similar in the bass except the 800d2 has more of it.  I don’t thinknthere was any portion of the response where the 802d2 was preferred.  I owned 802d2, 802d3, 800d3, and the 802d4 now.

Thank you, @joey_v

these were supposed to be my endgame speakers, so I’m hoping it’s the room and that they’ll sound different when I have a dedicated listening space. 

to the folks who suggested REW - I had everything dialed in perfectly with my 802s but I don’t have a measurement file to compare to with the 802s playing alone. I do still have the summed response of everything playing together. 

I’ll measure the 800 next week while my family is out of town and I’ll have time.