Ohm Speakers Status Update

Signs of life from a great American loudspeaker brand!

https://ohmspeaker.com/news/

bondmanp

A tidbit of history for all you Ohm lovers:

In 1972, as a fledgling audiophile, a friend & I happened to find ourselves at the old Tech Hifi in Cambridge, MA where I bought my first serious hifi system.  Just for fun, because I couldn't afford toys like this on a poor college student's budget, one of the salespeople treated us to a pair of Ohm F, powered first, by a big Phase Linear amp and immediately thereafter, a big McIntosh rig.  We did the same with a pair of Bose 901.  Can't remember if the 901 came first or second but, in my and my friend's opinions, the clear and indisputable winner of that shoot-out were the Ohm F speakers!  No question!  It was a sound my mind's ear will remember forever.

The following year, I returned to Tech Hifi to upgrade a pair of Studiocraft bookshelf speakers and spent a few hours doing shoot-outs with the likes of AR, EPI, Bose 301, Advent and probably a few other speakers in a similar price point.  I have to say I liked all of the speakers I heard that day but, eventually, came home with a pair of Ohm C that served me very well into the mid 90s.  I had them re-foamed once.  In fact, a few audiophile friends with much more expensive and higher end systems than mine, at the time, often remarked, when visiting, they couldn't believe how good the Ohm C sounded.  One friend in particular, at the time, who owned a pair of Bose 901 and a big Yamaha integrated, after a few visits, uttered something to the effect of:  "Damn!  Those things sound better than my 901!

I don't know what kind of magic Ohm used in those days to accomplish that level of sound fidelity but, as far as my ears were concerned, it was nothing short of audiophile alchemy!  I would love to hear their new stuff.  

Years ago I had an Ohm F and had a love hate relationship with them and finally sold the less that a year after I bought them. They sounded great, but I had a few issues with them. Some was the design and some was the room and some was me.☺️

I am glad to hear that the company is still with us and look forward to hearing a newer version in a proper room.

Two years with my Walsh Talls 3000. 11' ceilings in a factory loft setting, brick walls front and 28' behind me. Expansive sound stage and no big deal with moving out of a sweet spot position.  

The new shop is in Bridgeport, Conn. - a block form where I grew up and went to school through 6th grade. 

Post removed 

@oldaudiophile Interesting. When I worked briefly at Sixth Avenue Electronics in NJ, we sold Bose and a few decent brands, like NHT and Paradigm.  The Bose were on display only in a separate alcove.  They were not allowed to be displayed where they could be compared to other speakers.  That was the Bose rule!