Ok guys

My question is this, nothing major, more of a curiosity. When playing an album does it make a difference if you leave the dust cover up or down? Probably stupid  question but hey there are lots of opinions out there
128x128wownflutter
Well of course its my opinion, glad we resolved that.
Just as it was YOUR opinion that a hinged dust cover should be down.
We all have opinions just like we all have... well , you know.
So in the spirit of being open minded I tried on my tt-71 this morning with dustcover which is hinged to the plinth both up and down on same tracks.
Now bear in mind this is only on my second system which is not as resolving as the main but still.

Best way I can describe it is that with cover open it sounds more dynamic and open,more air and definition.
With cover down it was not bad by any means but seemed like a veil was lifted when I again opened the cover up.

I cannot perform same test in main system as the cover is a big square that sits over the 401 platter and tonearm and cartridge.

But I would say to my ears in my system it's clearly sounding better open on my Tt-71 which is a cover hinged to the plinth.

Draw whatever conclusions you like.
Playing records with dust cover down is like using a CD player, i hate it. 

I want to see the record when i'm using turntables, no dust covers, never.
If a turntable comes with a dust cover i will remove it, completely. 

I have only one turntable with a dust cover, because the original plinth comes with a dust cover, it's my Denon DP-80, i can't even imagine using this turntable with a dust cover up or down. It's so bizarre. 

One of the greatest thing about turntables is that we can actually see a record spinning on the platter with a needle on it. 

Dust cover is for protection when user is away, but since i don't have animals i don't care, no one will touch by turntables when i'm away. 

And please do not tell me about dust, nobody leave vinyl on the platter longer than one side, often just for a few songs and then it's back to the sleeve on the shelf. So WTF we need dust covers for ? 

And please do not tell me about dust, nobody leave vinyl on the platter longer than one side, often just for a few songs and then it’s back to the sleeve on the shelf. So WTF we need dust covers for ?
The concern, IMO, is that static charges on the record could pull dust particles that are on the platter into the groove of the side of the record that is not being played. And when the record is turned over so that the side which had been in contact with the platter is then played, sonics, tics and pops, and record wear may all be adversely affected as a result.

...nobody leave vinyl on the platter longer than one side, often just for a few songs

As one who listens primarily to classical music, when I listen to a record I usually listen to both sides in their entirety.

Again, though, I do not doubt that removing a dustcover is sonically beneficial with many and probably most turntables. My earlier comments pertained exclusively to the SOTAs.

Regards,
-- Al