Pass Labs xa - .5 amps

Has anyone compared the new Pass XA-30.5 stereo amp to the XA-60.5 mono amps? Interested to hear your impressions. I am considering one (or two) these for use with my ML Vantage speakers. Thanks.

Bob R.
rmrobinson1957
Despite the marketing hype, I believe it's not at all uncommon for some supposedly "pure class A" amps to drop into class AB at some point. Perhaps due to volume demands, perhaps due to impedance load, perhaps it can't draw enough power from the wall, perhaps it can't dissipate the heat and perhaps because the manufacturer is exagerating it's products capabilites. I think I would prefer an amp to slide into class AB rather than choke on class A and run out of steam or worse yet damage my speakers. This might partialy explain why some might choose a high powered Class A A/B amp with their particular speakers.
AFAIK there is no reason to think that any competently designed class a amp sliding into ab will damage speakers. The amount of class a delivered depends upon the bias current. Read Nelson Pass's paper on the subject on his web site. For high output solid state amps the inherent inefficiency of the design, however, requires huge power supplies, lots of heat production and large heavy heat sinks. Any manufacturer of a high output solid state " pure class a " amp which does not exhibit these characteristics is indeed exaggerating its capabilities. Reasons to choose ab over pure a include the desire for a small cool energy efficient amp or the need for very high output ( >500 watts) which is not very practical to achieve using class a. - Jim
Aldavis, I'm not sure if your responding to my post or not. If so, I don't believe that I suggested that a Class A amp sliding into class AB would damage speakers. What I was suggesting is that over driving an amp could damage speakers.
Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood. If by overdriving you mean clipping I would say that class a amps are not more prone to this.
Aldavis, it might be argued that class A amps might be more prone to clipping than class AB amps in that it's easier and less expensive to provide the neccessary power to avoid clipping with class AB than with class A operation. But, honestly, this is just an academic argument.