PayPal Friends & Family listings. Why is this becoming so common?

I think most sellers now realize they are not going to have a taxable profit. 

The F&F listings at market price don't seem to sell. 

It seems like buyers demand around a 20% discount to take on the added risk of F&F. 

I'm really just curious to hear what buyers & sellers think of this practice.  

seanheis1

The bigger issue in all of this, is that, the scumbag (D) party. made the IRS and Tax changes.  Remember when internet purchases were reporting/tax free?

Happy Listening!

When I buy using F&F I have a phone conversation with the seller, ask for additional pictures to be texted to my cell, check feedback and research the seller including what they do for a living, their LinkedIn profile etc. I also do not sell to buyers with 0 feedback using G&S due to possibility of fraud and chargebacks. And I do not buy from sellers with 0 feedback. I never had a problem. If I do not trust the sellers I either request to use PayPal G&S or don’t buy from them.

I have bought and sold a ton on AG and USAM using F&F without issues. 

@lalitk BTW, PayPal protection is worthless! I never relied on them to do right by seller or buyer. 

Maybe this is true sometimes.  I sold an LP on Discogs.com, and the buyer returned a different copy as if it were the one I sold him.  I marshalled all the photographic and messaging evidence I could, and PayPal supported me in the dispute.

jafant

19,545 posts

The bigger issue in all of this, is that, the scumbag (D) party. made the IRS and Tax changes.  Remember when internet purchases were reporting/tax free

Don't you have a riot at the Capitol to go to?

“It seems like buyers demand around a 20% discount to take on the added risk of F&F. ”

I have not experienced that at all…my last 12 transactions on USAM, all F&F ranging between $16K - $150. I have sold items within 95% of my asking price. If a buyer wants protection, they can fork out 4% PayPal fee. IRS is a non-issue as you seldom make any profit when you reselling an item.

I should clarify, I see this situation happening when there is NO Paypal Goods & Services option. If you offer a 4% G&S option, that will build trust, and the buyer may decide that saving 4% is worth it.