Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Regarding the microphonics of the DHTs, I also have had considerable "challenges". The most important factor, I've found, is the sensitivity of the amplifier. With very high sensitivity amps, such as my ASL Hurricanes, the microphonics are very noticable. Yes- I can also hear my voice when speaking in the room near the preamp and no music playing. I've experimented with the PX-4s, 45s and 300Bs. I've found that the 300Bs (especially the WE)are the least sensitive to microphonics; the PX-4s and 45s the most. With a lower sensitivity amp (or placing attenuators in the line between the pre and amp), it's less noticable or goes away. Having said all this, if you can listen past the microphonics, I've found that the incredible dynamic range, musicality, transparancy and openness of the DHTs are worth the trouble. I am currently using EML 45s in my Grange. I have a Cortese modified to Grange currently for sale on Audiogon that changed out the DHTs for single triodes to offer less microphonics.
Hi Gang,

Just received an e-mail from Mick and he says the KT-88 amps are almost ready. He is very happy with the sound. They will be 60 wpc. He had to give up a little power to get the sweetness he wanted. Still, 60 watts of tube power should be enough for most applications. I am sure that these amps will be a perfect match to Mick's preamps and will probably take care of microphonic problems that other amps cause.
Mick has not set the price yet, but he told me $2,000 to $3,000! That would be great!
slowhand:

did mick say anything about how the amps are wired? i'd presume that 60 watts from a single pair of KT88 tubes means the amps are wired for ultralinear operation. i'm hoping he can wire them for triode operation as well as i intend to biamp with the supratek amp on top and a pair of digital amps on bottom.