Re: streaming recommendations for newbie

Hi,

I'd like to finally enter the streaming world with my hifi system and am looking for recommendations.  I have streaming music in my car and on my computer, but I can't currently access any streaming services on my hifi system because I have tube gear and neither it nor my old backup gear have streaming capacity or a DAC (other than the CD player).  

I guess that I need to buy both a streamer and a DAC?  I now have a pretty decent hifi system, but I want start out with modest priced streaming gear.    

Can anyone recommend a streamer & DAC, or unit that does both?  Does it make sense to put more $$ in a DAC or in a steamer?  Not sure about budget, but I'm thinking $500-1000 used for both as a starting point. Thank you.

Terry

tlh28

It is a nickel over your asking price, but might I suggest a Innuos Pulsemini. Looking over your responses to past threads suggest that you really have some nice equipment. This will lend well to that.

Another vote for Bluesound. Great for the money and they bent over backwards to help me with a problem I had with setup.

+1 to Eversolo. It is great value as a Streamer/DAC and is a very respectable Streamer only if you later decide to upgrade to a separate DAC.

@tlh28 

I have a Bluesound Node N130 and for around $500 you can get a darn good streamer an okay DAC. As time and money permitted, I bought a better power supply and it made a big difference in the sound. As time and money permit, you might want to get a better DAC, but there’s millions of people out there who haven’t and are still very very happy.

All the best.

I’ve been using a bluesound node 2i with a PD Creative power supply.  I outboard to a Schitt Gungnir Dac. I love the sound I get and it’s been all on a beer budget compared to how much can be spent on a digital setup. I use Tidal and Qobuz and have had no qualms or itch to want more, for now.