Reel to reel

I’m entertaining the idea of purchasing a reel to reel to record my albums on and also use to possibly soften the digital age a bit. Does anyone know where or if NEW blank tapes can be purchased? Are there any thoughts on a resurgence of R2R and if blank media will become more easily accessible?
128x128luvrockin
Post removed 
Got it Benjie!

Probably not something I am too interested in pursuing right now Tbh.

I am actually quite happy with this little tube buffer, it is doing exactly what i hoped for.

As a bonus ( in my eyes at least) it has tone controls which is very useful to roll off the bass a little on some early recordings.

For my needs I am probably set for now.

Time to shop for some more decent tape though, nearly used all my Ampex up.
Sleepwalker.
It was just an el cheapo Chinese job bought of ebay, does not even have any brand name on it!
Works just fine for what I wanted though.

Another reason to own a reel. The other day, one of my expensive NOS tubes in my phono pre went belly up, and presently I can't afford another pair; now records are not so impressive.

But there is good news, while the phono pre was cooking on all 8 with the NOS tubes, I recorded to reel at 15 IPS some of my favorite LP's, plus I down loaded to hard drive on the computer my LP collection, so I still have the essence of those NOS tubes, and I can enjoy those records sounding their best.

All things are relative; what I'm speaking of, is the fact that you can go up the ladder but never back down. After I replaced the blown NOS tube with ordinary tubes, records just sounded flat; I can live without the TT until I get some more NOS tubes for the phono pre.

Another example of not being able to go back is my cassette deck; I have one of the top flight decks, and I went to a lot of trouble to get it back in top flight condition, but to no avail. Compared to my other sources, the cassette deck wont cut it; no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it's still a pig. I can't get over how good it sounded after I purchased all of that "metal" cassette tape. I'm sure it sounds just as good now, as it sounded then; but cassette good, and reel to reel good are two different "goods".

The bottom line is, what was good yesterday might be "squat" today, you can go up the ladder, but never back down.