Rhea Noise

Anyone have experience managing/reducing noise with the Rhea Phono Stage. The noise becomes audible from the "Sweet Seat" with gain settings above 50db. This is slightly reduced when listening from the RCA out instaed of balanced. This noise would eliminate me using ultra low output moving coils. I read many posts before getting this phono stage but I don't recall reading any about noise.
xagwell
The answer is most-likely lies in integration between cartridge and phono preamp if the unit functions OK. The variable gain settings in many cases cannot be done successfully since it may cause gain stages go out of stability i.e. oscillate. Selecting a best fixed gain and eliminating this flexibility feature could result in vast performance improvement(some small surgery required)

Gathering opinions on this post you may find folks who are more or less tolerant to the noise you're describing, but to be more precise in best gain value you must consult manufacturer who probably has knowlege about the best gain value i.e. with minimal vulnerability to oscillation and maximum stability and performance certainly with no exception to suggest inspecting the unit for possible service.
Swapping tubes can be helpful, but the Rhea is noisy compared to the best phono stages available. It is a very good phono stage, but I don't think you will eliminate that problem.

Sometimes you have to take a little bad, along with a lot of good. To get something more quiet that sounds as good, you're going to have to spend a good chunk of cash.
Thanks all for your feedback. Refer to the other post for additional info, however I never heard noise with the PH-3. The stock ARC/Rhea both use sovtek 6922.
I have not heard every phono stage out there, but I've directly compared the ARC, Herron, and Rhea in my system. Before switching out the original tube set, the Rhea was clearly noisier. After the tubes were replaced, noise levels were close enough to my ear as to be inconsequential. The Rhea is, however, my favorite performer of the bunch by a long shot and is far more flexible/ergonomic, to boot.

One good diagnostic test is to listen for channel specific noise levels and then swap tubes left to right. In my case, the difference was clear (although both channels were always somewhat noisier than I liked). A new tube set reduced overall noise levels and brought the two channels much closer in line with each other.

So, once again, I'd start by switching out the tubes.