Risk using amp Wattage than speaker rating?

I'd like to upgrade the amp for my Vandersteen 3A Sigs, but am a bit confused on whether or not I need to stay within the band of wattage (100 - 200 into 8 ohms) that is *strongly* recommended in the manual. I've read several articles/blogs/forum posts stating that exceeding the recommend power range for a loudspeaker system should be of a little concern, as long as you don't "push them too hard". What exactly does that mean? How much risk of damaging my speakers would there be if I used a 300 W/ch (into 8 ohms) amp with my speakers? I have a fairly large room, if that makes a difference. I appreciate any advice, as you all seem to be very knowledgeable about audio and have a lot of experience. Thanks, Rob
rtrauthwein
It is my understanding that it's distortion that blows a speaker.
As long as the amp is putting out clean power you would be fine.
I used a Classe ca 300 which puts out 600 watts into 4 ohms & 300 watts into 8 ohms my 104/2 speakers sound great with no issues what so ever.
Elizabeth... no, I wouldn't be too concerned with anything you mentioned. Sounds like you've had a few bad experiences though!

Thanks for input Molocka12
I'm sure Elizabeth can handle a little levity. But all kidding aside, It is very easy to slowly fry your drivers too. It may still sound clean even though the amp is seriously clipping. In this case you won't end it with a bang, but turn it on the next time and the voice coils could be warped and rubbing or output is way down because a short has welded the coil in places. 30 years later, I still have a grudge against NAD for burning up my beautiful B&W DM7's in exactly this way.
Having repaired speaker systems for a couple decades; I can assure you that high powered amps can damage low power rated systems. Crossover capacitors are rated for only so many volts, and lots of manufacturers skimp there. I've lost count of how many aluminum electrolytics(cheap/cheap) I've seen popped like firecrackers. The drivers themselves(cone or dome type) can EASILY exceed their maximum linear excursion range and either bottom(and crush) the voicecoil, or destroy it on the top edge of the magnet structure. Then there is the ubiquitous fried/overpowered voice coil, caused by more wattage than the driver was designed for. Overdriving an amp causes clipping(very high freq distortion- resembles a square wave on an O-scope), which a crossover network will pass first to the tweeter, and toast it. Owning a shoppe in Winter Park(FL), surrounded by over eighteen college campuses, and a plethora of live(and canned) music venues; I saw LOTS of damage caused by overpowering. However; I would estimate the clipping damage(tweeter replacements) to have been twice as high(post traumatic college party syndrome). I always recommended a higher powered amp as safer, and cleaner sounding, for any given system.