Sherlock Holmes needs clues

I have determined by listening to many different solo piano CDs that something unpleasant is happening consistently across all CDs whenever the piano plays in the octave between about 500-1000Hz. The beautiful warm, natural piano sound becomes somewhat thin and tinny, as though the piano needs to be voiced. Both above and below this octave, the piano sounds warm and natural. I would like to isolate the component (or resonance, or room interaction) at fault.

I plan to play Sherlock Holmes a bit - but would appreciate any thoughts people might have to assist with my learning curve.
judit
Are these the same speakers/amp that you mentioned under a previous thread? In this thread you mentioned difficulties with orchestral brass... If so I suspect you may have a defective speaker or a poorly designed one. You really need go to a pair of QUAD ESL 63s, 988s, or Soundlabs.
Ivanj, the speakers/amp are the very same mentioned in my orchestral brass question. I believe they are suspect here as well. A move to new speakers/amp is in my future. However, I want to be certain that I am actually treating the correct disease.

Plato, Relevant crossover is at 3 KHz. Your idea is the very first one I checked out.

I put a heavy quilt over my head and one speaker, listened to very near field direct path. Problem is audible. So I am thinking the room is not my problem.

I am going to do some equipment swapping tomorrow.

Some interesting ideas provided here. Thanks.
Marakenetz, What does amplifier clipping sound like. I know what it looks like on paper, but don't know what it sounds like. Shouldn't clipping artifacts go away at reduced volume levels?
Judit,
In my experience, clipping sounds like the ch in challa or chutzpa at both the top and bottom ends as the amp begins to clip. Increasing the volume decreases the intelligent audible spectrum as the distortion starts from the outside edges towards the middle.

The distortion caused by clipping does disappear when the gain is decreased.
Frankly, if the phase angle and impedence is brutal at the frequencies you are mentioning the amp would actually only be putting out a fraction of its "FTC" output. An example would be a 200 wpc SS amp - into 8 ohms - which actually is only putting out 6 watts or so at this nexus. Thus clipping occurs even though the volume is low. (This is why, in part, so many of the 70s SS amps of high power did not drive real speakers as well as a 35 watt Dynaco tube amp.) Am I being clear?