Should Speaker Manufactures provide a Frequency Response Graph?

Eric at Tekton Designs has been battling two different reviewers who have posted measurements without his permission, using Klippel devices for their respective measurements.

It seems to me that if manufactures provide a simple smoothed out graph, consumers can see how much a speaker is editorializing with a frequency response that deviates from neutral.  

seanheis1

@seanheis1 -- I think you are confusing "permission" from a company for a review with notifying them, the latter which is perhaps more common with the "influencer" crowd that generates money from views and the traditional audio web sites that often started as magazines.  To my knowledge, ASR has never asked permission or given notice to a manufacturer prior to testing an item, though they have often interacted with a manufacturer after the review has been posted. I don't think any other company has reacted the way Tekton has -- it is Tekton's behavior that has caused the fracas, not the review itself. As noted before, it was a complete non-issue for months after the original review.

That said, I'm content with what's been posted in this thread and those reading are free to draw whatever conclusions they like.

@mlsstl in this specific case Erin did notify Eric that he was reviewing his product, to make sure he had the correct listening axis. However, he didn't have Eric's permission to review his product or publish measurements....which is the norm for print media and YouTubers who have enough subscribers to be sent product. 

ASR normally doesn't have permission to publish measurements and Amir is the biggest exception to the norm.

Other companies have reacted similar to Eric in that they have threatened litigation. You don't have to go back as far as Bose v Consumer Reports. However, Erin leaked the information and put Eric on blast...that is uncommon. 

@seanheis1 Actually, Erin wrote to Eric to ask questions BEFORE he reviewed the speakers. So, Eric KNEW it was happening.

Erin was above board on this. 

So, we're back to needing permission before making public comment about a product.   Would love to have a list of those other companies that have threatened or instigated litigation over an unwanted audio review.

I think I've said what I have to say.

@botrytis I know this and even stated this. Please see my statement below.

in this specific case Erin did notify Eric that he was reviewing his product, to make sure he had the correct listening axis.