Speaker Imaging - Do you hear a line, or do you hear an arc??

Hi Everyone,

I am not trolling, I genuinely am interested in your experiences.

When listening to a system you feel images well, how do you perceive the sound stage? Do you perceive it as a rectangular space on which the speakers sit, or does it sound like an arc, going further back towards the middle?

Please give examples with music and speakers if you have the time.

Thanks,
Erik
erik_squires
It depends in varying degrees on the recording, how deep and how wide the stage is and how well placed are all the instruments and vocals, but always, my Maggie 1.7s disappear from the performance. On good recordings, regardless of where I set or stand, the vocals and instruments stay focused in their space and on a stage behind and beyond the plane of the speakers. I did spend a great deal of time and effort in room treatment and speaker and equipment set up - important with Maggies....Jim
don_c55  That is one of the three reasons I stopped using stats after more than 20+ years.  My wife couldn't enjoy (or me) the sound to the sides.  I purchased big dynamic speakers instead.  The Von Schweikert Ultra 9 and 11 speakers are so special as they permit a huge seating area with tremendous depth and width beyond the speaker positions.  I hope to replace my Legacy Focus with the VR55K in the future and enjoy superior width and depth as well.
I have a very expensive customized listening room so acoustics are not an issue (it’s always been the speaker which limited my imaging/soundstage equipmentwise). I note that the 50’s/60’s small jazz recordings were commonly left, right track recordings with a soloist in the center (especially Rudy Van Gelder's). Funny though, my hi end tube preamp replicates what is on the recording with sharp left and right sound at the mike sound while a switch to my lesser EAR 864 preamp spreads the sound out in a line from speaker to speaker but lacks 90% of the depth of the hi end pre-amp (custom made). The more accurate sound is the hi end unit but the lesser unit is very pleasant sounding albeit inaccurate. That same period large jazz and orchestral recordings sound best with the most filled in sound between speakers and good height (placing instruments on various levels on a recording stage if not on a flat stage). Vocalists vary from 4’ to 6’ high, probably many of my recordings are inaccurate in height where the majority are heard at ear level. Left and right recorded strings and soloists are often at the plane of the speaker. Hence, better/newer speakers would help my sound (mine are 25+ years old and not SOTA but really fantastic for $2500).