Speakers to consider around 5k used?

I'm a newbie to the high quality world of audio. I'm interested in getting a decent system together. I'm looking for the highest quality speaker in the 4-6k range used. My listening habits are eclectic. Primarily Electronic, Rock/Pop, Classical/Soundtrack, and Traditional/Folk. My room size is an average sized USA house living room. I don't want a speaker that is overly detailed or bright that leads to harshness or fatigue, neither one that is too warm or veiled. I want a neutral speaker that is realistic and true to source without being difficult to listen to, especially in the highs. I am starting with the speakers, and have no other hi-fi equipment. However, I'm considering a network DAC player for my source.

What speakers should I be looking at and which are the best in this range available?

Thanks
Aqua
aquablu8
The lease expensive and most trouble free way for you to do this is to go out and listen to some speakers and then make a decision based on what you thought was best. If you choose a different path, the chance of making a mistake is very high. I would say at least 75% to 80%.

Obviously, listening around is important -- and fun. But I think the confidence this should give one in a purchase is overrated -- unless one can audition in home with the kit you plan to use.

For my last three serious speakers purchases, I bought two pairs unheard, and one after a couple of careful listenings. The two unheard speakers lasted 5 yrs and approaching 2 years (and counting) in my system, the auditioned ones two weeks.

My preference is to listen, of course, but I'd personally not be too anxious about buying a well researched unheard of pair of used speakers at a good price. Also, many internet dealers and manufacturers offer generous home trails, so next to no risk if you go that way.

John
Zu Definition mkiii fits your budget and your music tastes perfectly. The powered subs are perfect for rock and electronica. They are also tone dense and rich on folk and acoustic material. Plus excellent customer service.
jdoris,

"Obviously, listening around is important -- and fun. But I think the confidence this should give one in a purchase is overrated -- unless one can audition in home with the kit you plan to use.

For my last three serious speakers purchases, I bought two pairs unheard, and one after a couple of careful listenings. The two unheard speakers lasted 5 yrs and approaching 2 years (and counting) in my system, the auditioned ones two weeks."

I know your comment is nothing other than well meaning, but I feel that it proves my point. You got lucky. That almost never happens. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't do any research. By all means; do anything that gives you an advantage. I feel, though, listening to a pair of speakers before you buy them, is the biggest advantage you can have. I understand that the sound won't be identical because of the room, and possibly different equipment, but its way better than nothing. Also, high frequencies are not that difficult to judge in another system. Most dealers will let you bring your own components in to use for the demo.

As far as internet dealers go, I agree. If they allow for a return if you are not happy, why not. I can't think of a better way to demo something.

Heres an example of what I'm trying to say.

Morganc posts: "Zu Definition mkiii fits your budget and your music tastes perfectly. The powered subs are perfect for rock and electronica. They are also tone dense and rich on folk and acoustic material. Plus excellent customer service."

I agree. That would probably be a very good speaker to look at. The problem I have is that I can name other speakers that have those characteristics but sound very different than the Zu. The only way to be sure is to listen to them first. You can still make a mistake (I'm no exception. I've made more mistakes than I can remember.), it just lowers your chances.
Zd542 has good advice, however it is not easy to find ID speakers to demo, unless you can find a generous owner near you. I never demo'd any speaker that I bought except for the first pair that I bought new ( and overpaid for) and I did waste a lot of time and money on shipping lots of speakers to and fro.......however, now I know online whose opinions I trust and who's ears I trust and who has similar taste in music and systems as do I! There is however no substitute to experiencing the speakers in your home with your music so that you can enjoy it on your time.