Step Transformer for BAT VK150 m can it work

Hi there

I want to buy these BAT amps and can get a good deal in the US, where I am unfortunately not from so I have a voltage problem; I can send them to BAT to change the transformers but that is too expensive. Can a step up transformer work and if so do any of you have recommendations?

Thanks
willemanel
Good chance you will get the best performance from the amps if you have BAT change out the transformers....

Stepping up the voltage from 120V to 220V can be done cheaply with a converter. Converters are usually autotransformers. Best way is with a true step up isolation transformer. But a lot more expensive.

Problem is in either case the frequency will end up the same, 50Hz..... If the BAT power transformers are rated for 60Hz only they will mechanically hum louder and run hotter on 50Hz mains and could fail in time.

A re-generator on the other hand will not only change the voltage but the frequency as well..... Cost? For the size you would need probably higher than the cost for BAT to change out the transformers.

http://sound.westhost.com/xfmr.htm#7-noise
No need to send the amps back to BAT. Get the transformers instead. My guess is that the transformers should be $300 each (plus shipping/tax).
Willemanel,

Having BAT swap transformers would be ideal, but this isolation transformer will operate the BAT, provided you choose the higher rating. Comments about 50/60 HZ are correct, I don't know if the BAT will operate at 50 HZ and be fine or not. My guess is it will, you have to decide how much you want to spend.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/289T.htm

I use this same transformer, except I bought the model that drops USA (125 V) down to Japan (100 V) for my turntable.

The highest rated isolation transformer on the page is about $430.00 at Electronic Depot. That's where I bought mine.
Albert,

Check out the schematic provide in your link for the transformer. Odd the unfused side of the 120V secondary side of the transformer is not connected to earth ground. The 120V secondary is floating....... Is yours floating?