Streaming solution help - Dynaudio X12 + Hegel H95. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi Audiogon community, hoping someone can help me out here, I will give a detailed background before asking questions:

I have a Hegel H95 integrated amplifier paired with some old Dynaudio Excite X12 bookshelf speakers via old (Gen 1) Transparent Audio MusicWave speaker cables. 

I used to use this system in another location and fed it FLAC files from my laptop running Audirvana, via a Curious USB cable. I was very satisfied with the sound and the speakers disappeared into the room and threw a rather good soundstage/stereo image, at least width-wise. Not perfect or end-game, but highly enjoyable. Running Spotify, it was still enjoyable though not quite as resolving (which was fully expected). 

Fast forward a few years. I've moved and getting back into setting up in a new space (a bit larger room/different layout than before, so I'm aware speaker placement, listening position are critical given room interactions/energizing the space and thus, potentially driving power of the H95 may not suit the new dimensions of the room). New space, different game.

For various reasons, I want to start using Tidal (and maybe Spotify) to stream music from my phone. 

The Hegel H95 does have a network input in the back of the unit, but I don't have my house networked for a direct connection to the router. I DO have a satellite Orbi station sitting nearby which I linked up to my WiFi. This Orbi unit can do RJ-45 out, so as an experiment, I was planning on running that into the Hegel network input to see it it will work and get the Hegel to "show up" as a streaming device under the Tidal/Spotify apps via my WiFi network.

I very recently helped my father set up a Wiim Pro + streamer (with linear power supply) which we fed into his LS50W's (Gen 1) via good quality RCA's. After a bit of PEQ and slight adjustments to the speaker positioning, we both agree the resulting sound/stereo image is by far better than the stock setup/streaming that the LS50W provides via KEF's app. Wider soundstage, more 'enveloping' and warm - maybe AKM chip at work? Some think that the ADC in the LS50W would negate that, but who knows? Regardless, to our ears, the Wiim Pro + implementation into his setup is a marked improvement in the sound, not subtle in the least. Remarkable considering the 500 dollar investment for the Wiim, cables and LPS.

I do know that there are limitations on file bitrate/depth in regards to what the built in DAC of the H95 can handle. I would like to seek a way around that, which in my case would seem to necessitate an outboard streamer and DAC or both in one. 

I have considered trying a Wiim Pro + of my own and seeing if that would work well. My concern is - even though my system is 'mid-fi' at best, would I be leaving performance on the table by going Wiim Pro + versus another solution? I have considered: 

Gustard A26 or R26 - getting these to work with the WiFi may be tricky or a waste of time if the bandwidth is too low or lossy? 

EverSolo DMP-A6 or DMP-A8 - same as above, but not sure?

BlueSound Node X - No experience with this unit. I like the sound of the AKM in the Wiim Pro + in my father's setup, but maybe there are other considerations, as in how the DAC chip, regardless of manufacturer, is implemented? 

Any other advice/input for things I should consider would be welcomed, but what I am aiming for is a solution that will:

1. Play nice with my WiFi approach -  as ill-advised as it may be - from a sound quality perspective (it's what I'm stuck with -  at least for the next few months). 

2. Have a relatively easy to use app I can control via my phone from the couch or otherwise stream directly via the Tidal or Spotify app. 

3. Not limit my use of Tidal masters or otherwise higher bitrate music streams, regardless of source.

Any suggestions on what I should do or consider? I'm also open to potentially upgrading the H95 to something with a little more driving power and streaming capability but it should have some synergy with the X12's. 

As an aside, if anyone has suggestions on an aftermarket power cable for the H95 and potentially speaker cables that might pair well, I would consider that as a parallel upgrade as well. 

Thanks in advance!

audioneo80

https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/2697096

That helps a lot, thanks soix. I’m waiting to hear back from Hegel support for the Orbi network instructions so I’m hoping early this coming week or so I’ll get the information and have some time to set it all up and evaluate. Based on what I hear I’ll start thinking about adding a dedicated outboard streamer. As mentioned above I’m leaning towards the Schiit Bifrost or maybe the Eversolo DMP-A8. Lots of very favorable reviews and it seems like going down that route would also help future proof in the case I decided to upgrade the integrated amplifier or go separates at some point. I’ll post back here with the findings as I progress. Thanks again for all of your input so far. It’s going to be fun getting back into the hobby! 

Well, dammit. 

Hooked up the H95 and it won't turn on. I've emailed Hegel to see what they say. Soix (or anyone else), if you have any good recommendations for an amplifier around the 2-2.5k mark I'd appreciate it. I did buy a Wiim Pro Plus and an LPS which I will use with it until I figure out a better streaming option. 

Again, looking for a slightly warmer vs more analytic/cold sound, I value soundstage (width and depth) and rock solid imaging the most. Room is about 16 feet wide by around 24 feet deep, but I do plan to sit around 8-9 feet away with the speakers that far apart as well.

Here's a list of what I currently am considering (and if anyone can shed some light - for better or worse - on any of these, then I'd be appreciative of that too): 

Speakers are Dynaudio X12 and using Transparent Audio The Wave (Gen 1) cables with spade terminations on both ends. 

Amps I am considering: 

Cambridge Audio CXA-81 Mark II

Leak Stereo 230

Rogue Sphinx v3 Magnum 

Peachtree Audio Carina 150

Anything else worthwhile I should consider? Potential downsides on the above if anyone cares to share given my setup/preferences? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi, audioneo80! I have been using a Rega Brio with my X12s for many years.

I like the sound a lot but know the speakers would benefit from more power. I am also considering getting a new amp and have thought of Marantz Model 40n, Rega Elex, CA CXa81 but also the cheaper Yamaha A-S801. In the case of the Yamaha I could also use its well reviewed DAC instead of the Wiim's. Your list seems very good as well. By the way, what sort of LPS you're getting? 

Hi fariatavares, thanks for your reply. Here is what I got for LPS:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/nirvana-smps.html

I got it from Amazon. I set up my father’s WiiM pro plus with that exact LPS and it made a big difference for the better in the sound. I didn’t use the grounding feature. I forget if I toggled the earth switch on or off but I can check by this weekend if you are interested in knowing the details. 

thanks for your list! I also did a little research into the Rega Brio, but was concerned it wasn’t enough power so I appreciate you sharing your experience with that unit. Maybe Elex might be worth a look. If I can ask, what did you like about the Rega Brio sound? Did it throw a good soundstage with the X12’s? Anything missing to your ears, other than maybe too little power? In other words - how is the Rega “house sound”? 

Interesting that you brought up Marantz. I’m going to look more into that, thanks!

I’m somewhat tempted by Peachtree audio Carina 150, just not sure if the “house sound” will suit my preferences. I’m also beginning to look at potentially either the Schiit Aegir 2 or Vidar with Freya +, just for the sake of it. Vidar has lots of power, Aegir 2 significantly less so but reviewers seem to like the smooth sound. Can run them as monoblocks, apparently? 

yet another option is to ditch everything and just get some KEF LS50 wireless II’s. I bet I’d enjoy that setup but not sure if the itch to try a different outboard DAC would come into play down the road. With a more traditional setup I could mix and match components or even speakers. The KEF option is definitely something that would lock me in. Maybe I’ll see if the local hifi shop will offer a demo pair I could try. 

this is an interesting crossroads for sure. Thanks for sharing your input! 

My Rega Brio sounds very natural, organic, one could say. Warmish. not bright at all, Musical. I like it.