Subwoofers.... one 10" or two 8"?

I'm looking to fill out the bottom of my simple 2 channel system  (Musical Fidelity X-Ray CDP through Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated amp to a pair of Mirage OMD-15 full range speakers).  I occasionally will play the TV audio through the system for movies, but not interested in an HT setup. Music is the prime focus. The room is "medium" size.  I know that will not give the deep bass feel of a 12", but the difference should not be too great, and a 12" may be overkill for that room.  I've also considered getting two 8" subs to keep the sound balanced between the left and right channels. I think the  8" may be enough bottom for my room and tastes. I'm on a budget so getting a pair of anything bigger than 8" may not be in the cards.

Any opinions or suggestions as to whether I'd be better off with one 10" or two 8" subs?

larstusor
It is good to read what I have known for many, many years now regarding REL and Sunfire subwoofer(s).
This set up is not in a dedicated listening room but rather in our living room and  I don't think my wife is going to stand for bass traps. Anyone else experience a similar problem? (lol)
Johnnyb:

Based upon your experience with OMD-15s, what length spikes or feet would be appropriate to enhance the bass?  How high off the hardwood floor should I go?
larstusor,
 I get it..... my wife married a career musician and motor nut so she gave up in the beginning when it came to the garage, guitars, amps and me stealing the spare room for dedicated audio.( studio is 100yrd from the house lol) In the ht room "family room" i am working on the treatment now it rings bigtime (slap echo) 24'x28'x17' vaulted ceilings. she is down because she can hear the difference .If you can sway her try somebody like gik and just browse thru they can take pics and imprint them on the panels.Who can say no to a family pic? lol. I have and still remain a fan of the better sunfires and honestly i may be in the few but i feel a smaller driver is faster and more accurate.Thats why i dont have big drivers in my spkrs like many . Sometimes if not almost all the time when ya take a crisp tight spkr and put a larger sub with it there is a distinctive separation between them imo .i think when you get that hrs8 you will be shocked it throws like  1.5" ! mess around with it .I know the purist are going to interject but straddle a corner facing out ,a foot or two ,try phase switching,and god forbid lol turn it around about two feet from a corner and face it .try it along the wall close and a cple feet out.these changes will be significant some will be boomy as hell somewhere in there it should just melt away in your system .If your are like "dam theres the low end i'm looking for maybe you can mark it somehow and only place it there when the wife is away and have a serious session.i used to do that in one of my old setup yrs ago. Get another 8' sunfire it will be tight and rip in all but the most demanding situations and there tiny.( wife approved).although for me i would prefer two 10" in the perfect setup .sorry but your setup is limited by different obsticles with all due respect. I am lucky to have a 13'x16'x10' room. the sunfires are easy to sell if you choose a different path ..jmho
good luck
I want to clear up something i said. There are some killer 12" and 15" subs like the jl audios but thats a different topic and way above the money you want to spend ..
respect and good luck