suggestions for turntable set up around $6,000.

Wow! I just went to a friends house and heard a good turntable for the first time. I think it is time to take out some old albums and get a turntable. I have a Electrocompaniet cd player but the table sure sounded nice. I am looking into Shelter cartriges, and possibly a VPI turntable, and purchasing through AG will most likely be the path followed. Would like to hear some pros and cons of tables,etc. Concerns would maintance on certain cartriges, durability of all componets. I have a Atma-sphere mp1 preamp and a ma2 amp, Ralph at Atma-sphers said it is a great phono stage and should not have a problem with most mc cartriges. I JUST WANT TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME the 6k figure is not carved in stone but with all audio there must be some budget, at least for me. I also would like a table that looks as good as it sounds, all info. is really appreciated.
eralff
Eralf, reread my last post, as for the tonearm question.
The Origin Live Illustrious tone arm is a new design. Also a bargen at the price because of its design it will work beautifully with the shelter cartridges. Not all arms are as well suited to work with the 901,I would say probably none would be better. If you decide to change cartridges sometime in the future this arm will work GREAT with any pickup.
most guys reading this thread would love to be in your shoes and have the 6K to get this setup. As I stated in my first post you will not belive the information this rig well dig out of those old groves. The music will be a revelation. I hope you have a lot of lp's because once you hear how good this Monster is you will not be able to stop playing lp's
Eralf 6k is right in the ballpark for a decent rig, most definetly look into a used VPI TNT the mkV is a upgrade from what I have. I have a TNT JR / SME 309 / Benz Ruby H , this combo is really a great setup, once you set the VPI up FORGET ABOUT IT . And with VPI I know say 10 or 15 years from now I will still be able to get parts if needed.Can you say that about some of the other smaller companies. I don`t disagree that some of these smaller companies make a great product, what I am saying is VPI makes a product that has a excellent reputation. Just my 2 cents,I know if I was spending 6K I would buy what I liked after reveiwing all the posts. Also consider a phono stage to mate with the cartridge you end up with. David
You may also want to check out a Redpoint table. They are very well made and have several platter options. Their turntables run around $3-$4M without arm depending on platter and model. This as the Teres competes with tables costing much more.
I have this combo and I would strongly suggest it to anyone because this is vinyl lovers dream turntable/arm/cartridge. I had a Linn LP12/Valhalla/Cirkus/Expressimo RB-250/Glider II and the Teres 255 Lacquered Rosewood/ET2/Shelter just killed it. The Teres 255 is a beautiful table and breeze to setup. You would have to spend alot more to have anything better.

Steve...