The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Hi Paimei,

i am never fussed by other opinions. i keep my own counsel. ;) regarding Wilson, i just posted a review with my full system on it. i would say that source is less important than Speaker set up. and i am not talking about "art is science" positioning/placement. The main man of the national distributor came with the GM of the Dealer and they spent 8 hours. They resoldered new resistors into the tweeter (twice) to adjust for the treble dispersion in my room. The speaker is literally that adjustable, and it comes with the installation of the speakers.

Good became impressive became wow...became Smokes!!!!!!!!!!!! over the course of 8 hours. And they actually said there is a touch more tweaking they are happy to come back and do after the New Year's.

My source: Oppo 83 Transport to Zanden DAC Signature, through CJ ACT 2 pre and Gryphon Antileon. IC/SC is Transparent REference, and the PCs are all PAD Dominus B or Anniversary Contego.

Again, the sources are all good to my ear, but the set up was waaaaaay more important.

For example, the first soldered resistor was better than the original...but it still felt like middle C in the piano was being damped...kinda like the "trapped" you mentioned...like being in a sound proofed practice room when i used to practice the piano in music school. once they changed resitors again...it all opened up completely.

hope that helps...
Lloydelle,

I do agree with your assesment. I have heard the Grands sound very good myself and setup is always the key with big full bandwidth speakers. Most who have never tried to set one up will never understand the task involved and it's worst with big panel speakers...

Congrats .....
Hi Weseixas,

Thanks. And yes, panels are tough to set up...but can be incredible. I still remember listening to the Apogee Stages with Mark Levinson electronics around 15 years ago. They were already kinda old by then...but it was remarkable how "lifelike" they sounded.

Do u use panels?
Post removed 
Hi Shadhorne,

Interesting point. i think you must be right. in fact, the transparency/imaging of the Slamms i have was suppoedly improved by Wilson(though i've not done direct comparison) by making adjustment to those very edges. They basially shaped each cone cabinet by carving back to the corners around the cone to keep their dispersion fully open. it started with the last generation of the Slamms on the midrange and was improved in the Alexandria by being applied to every cone.