The Home Theater Company Collusion Theory

Technically, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, etc. Can offer a processor for $300, and a 7 channel amplifier for $300, and still make a profit.
Basically, a home theater receiver is just a processor and an amplifier in one unit instead of 2.
If you spend $500 on a reciever or an amp and processor , you should be able spend $300 on separate processors and amplifiers since a receiver is just basically both of them combined, yet not a single company will sell a processor or amplifier alone for below like $2,000.
Reserving hi fi for the elite, in the name of making things more expensive than they have to be.
I’m sure they could release a 100 watt 8 ohm / 150 watt 4 ohm amplifier for $500-600 at Best Buy, and a good 7 channel processor for $300-500, and a Dolby Atmos processor for $600-750 and still make a killing going by what they charge for receivers.

Obviously it’d kill their margins on high end stuff, I’m just saying they could.

Going by what they charge in receivers, it’s just a insinuation.

Why has no one ever done this?

Collusion!

What do you guys think?

Also, selling processor and amplifiers separately for $2k minimum, and forcing people who spend less to buy revievers, forces people to have to upgrade the receiver (amplifier and processor) to get new audio and video technologies. So if they sold separates, at low prices, no one would upgrade the amplifier. It’s a conspiracy to force you to upgrade more.

😃
- Andy
funaudiofun
I think your conspiracy theory is based on a poor understanding of the business, volumes, and costs of the consumer electronics market.
Yup, agreed.  A primary reason that big company receivers are so cheap in comparison is that they can sell tens of thousands of units.  If you look at a pre/pro by the same company, generally it still has a good expense to manufacturer, but they will not sell nearly as much as a standard receiver.  The "Audiophile" community that would want a separate pre/pro is very much a minority in the sea of consumers for electronics.

But check out Outlaw Audio for cost effective processors that are "decent".

roberttcan
"
I think your conspiracy theory is based on a poor understanding of the business, volumes, and costs of the consumer electronics market."

His conspiracy theory is absurd and illogical but you're response reflects your effort to convince the group hear that you are some "higher authority" who's expertise, experience, and knowledge somehow makes you more correct, authoritative, and worthy of dictating to others and insisting they accept you're version of truth, reality, and faith.  
I see people use the term "receiver" incorrectly quite often. A receiver is a device that "receives" a broadcast signal such as AM/FM and typically has a built in amplifier as opposed to a "tuner" that merely receives a signal.