the marantz sound...mid-fi avrs...vs Denon....

Never owned a marantz avr...how would one describe the sound from their mid-fi (<1k) avrs? Not expecting audio nirvana...but seeking something a tad "mellow" yet detailed...in other words...somewhat refined over the usual mass-market stuff...possibly Denon?
128x128phasecorrect
Since 2002, Denon and Marantz have been jointly owned by D&M. According to the company the research and development and production of the two brands are combined, while the brands maintain speparate marketing and distribution. Effectively, it seems like Denon- and Marantz-branded products are built in the same factory to the same spec and ought to be essentially identical.
D&M holdings also own McIntosh....... I would strongly disagree about Marantrz and Denon receivers sounding the same having owned several in the past few years of each, but YMMV.
mcintosh is maintained as a free-standing operation by d&m and, according to it, its products are still made in new york, unlike the asian-made marantz and denon. i haven't compared similarly-positioned denon and marantz avrs, though i can certainly accept that the manufacturer maintains some sonic differences between the two.