The Truth About Power Cords and there "Real" Price to Performance

This is a journey through real life experiences from you to everyone that cares to educate themselves. I must admit that I was not a believer in power cords and how they affect sound in your system. I from the camp that believed that the speaker provided 75% of the sound signature then your source then components but never the power cord. Until that magic day I along with another highly acclaimed AudioGoner who I will keep anatomist ran through a few cables in quite a few different systems and was "WOWED" at what I heard. That being said cable I know that I am not the only believer and that is why there are so many power cord/cable companies out there that range from $50 to 20-30 thousand dollars and above. So I like most of you have to scratch my head and ask where do I begin what brand and product and what should i really pay for it?

The purpose of this discussion to get some honest feed back on Price to Performance from you the end user to us here in the community.

Please fire away!

128x128blumartini
unfairlane / Thanks for your opinion

cd318 / No "Paranoid Cableitus" here. Great sound reproduction though
@unfairlane
Just curious, which single wire, solid core, 9 awg cable/wire do you use for speaker cables?
On the power side of things, you basically described Romex, which some well-regarded folks actually believe would make a good power cord.
@douglas_schroeder , "Got bias?"

If you meant me, then the answer is a definite yes! I do have a strong bias against fraudulent cable insinuations. (Let’s not call them claims - no manufacturer/seller would dare).

The same way I presume that you have a strong bias for big dealer/adviser profits.
cd318, no, I didn't aim the comment at you, it just happened to follow yours. It was meant as commentary on the entire thread. 

In response, one time as I am trying to learn not to get entangled in extended arguments/debates in regard to cabling - I find them fairly unproductive, and you may agree on that point! :) Anyway, in response, I think you would be able to find several reputable cable manufacturers who make claims about their cables' performance, and some that show it with graphs, measurements, etc. Whether you choose to believe those charts/measurments is another question. I have found cause over the years to question some of those graphs; one company in particular I feel used soft data to impress those who didn't look too closely. So, there is some truth to your position. However, I think it is reaching to condemn all cable makers as nefarious. 

I think your skepticism bias is showing again, as I have no connection to dealer and advertiser profits. I have zero involvement with the business side of reviewing. That is by choice, as I do not have a taste for the politics of audiophilia - I want nothing to do with it. I have an ideal situation wherein I review and have contact with dealers, manufacturers, other reviewers, and the publisher purely, solely for the purposes of my writing. I blissfully have nothing to do with the publication aside from the words I submit. I have never had any involvement in advertising in any respect. I thank God that I do not have to deal with any of that! It might be enough to drive me from reviewing, and I mean that literally. 

If you wish to damn me for having an accommodation when I do purchase a reviewed item, then so be it. I have said previously that as I am unpaid, and basically review for the joy and love of writing as well as building systems (Which is why I write approx. 4-5 times as many reviews as typical reviewers), because my time investment (an average of 30 hours per review considering communication, handling of logistics, setting up systems, and the writing process) would make for a paltry hourly wage. The discount I get in reviewing does not make up for the inordinate time I have spent writing reviews. That is not typical, so perhaps your skepticism of me and painting me with a broad brush with conceptions of what I am like as a reviewer is a bit off the mark. 

There are enough shenanigans by some, and loopholes in reviewing that I get your displeasure with it. I used to be the same before becoming a reviewer; I trusted none of them. No one would/could change my opinion. It's funny how transitioning to a different role (from audiophile hobbyist to reviewer) changes one's perspective. Now I am seen as one of "them", the distrusted, the seemingly corrupt, those in bed with the dealers and manufacturers. No, my friend, it's not true. The reality is far different than you think.  

I have not shared this as a rant, or as a plea for pity (Because I'm so hard done by as a reviewer, right? - LOL), because truth be known, I do not care terribly whether you change your opinion. But, the audiophile public once in a while needs to see that there are good people trying to serve them (And, of course, serving themselves by involvement with the gear; that's obvious) and are not duplicitous.  :) 

mitch2
2,087 posts
12-09-2019 4:51pm
@unfairlane
Just curious, which single wire, solid core, 9 awg cable/wire do you use for speaker cables?
On the power side of things, you basically described Romex, which some well-regarded folks actually believe would make a good power cord..

I`ve spendt years developing a 4-way speaker system and it has never been singlewired but if I had to use just one set of wires I would still use our norwegian Nexan-made pfsp standard romex-equivalent. 
9awg is not enough though to feed a grown woofer, give it 7awg* and your amp will show it`s full potential, assuming it`s feed through solid core pc`s, no filters.
Back in those days I came to discover quite a few things, like how to make 100% inaudible/lossless IC`s, speakercables, spdif coax & powercords. Took me some years and endless testing to comprehend what I`ve stumbeled over. Sometimes the truth is so simple it`s taken for a joke..

*   https://www.hifisound.de/de/Lautsprecher-Selbstbau/Frequenzweichen-Bauteile/Eisenkern/Mundorf-Null-OHM-Spule-N-390.html