The Truth About Power Cords and there "Real" Price to Performance

This is a journey through real life experiences from you to everyone that cares to educate themselves. I must admit that I was not a believer in power cords and how they affect sound in your system. I from the camp that believed that the speaker provided 75% of the sound signature then your source then components but never the power cord. Until that magic day I along with another highly acclaimed AudioGoner who I will keep anatomist ran through a few cables in quite a few different systems and was "WOWED" at what I heard. That being said cable I know that I am not the only believer and that is why there are so many power cord/cable companies out there that range from $50 to 20-30 thousand dollars and above. So I like most of you have to scratch my head and ask where do I begin what brand and product and what should i really pay for it?

The purpose of this discussion to get some honest feed back on Price to Performance from you the end user to us here in the community.

Please fire away!

128x128blumartini

delkal
geoffait- To get a speaker to produce sound you need an oscillating current of some frequency and AC power is distributed as an oscillating current at 60 Hz.

>>>>Huh? That’s what I just said.

audiozenology
"The AC supply is a voltage at 60Hz. However the frequency of the power draw, i.e. current, is a factor of the load effectively modulating the line frequency".

That is not at all what happens you are confused, disoriented, and/or grossly misinformed as to the nature of AC power in actual use and operation you should listen to "delkal" contributor he is correct.
Clearthink,

No, I am not confused, disoriented, or misinformed, but I do find your post rude, ignorant and disrespectful and it shows you lack knowledge in this area. I really do not know why you chose to post your disrespectful, inaccurate, and inflammatory post.

The AC supply VOLTAGE is 60Hz. Current draw is a function of the load, and is not limited to the 60Hz supply voltage. If you believe that is the case, then I do not think you are qualified to make a comment on this topic. Delkal is not correct. THD (Total harmonic distortion) is a critical measurement for AC products and is the ratio of power draw harmonics (above 50 or 60Hz) related to the 50 or 60Hz primary frequency. AGAIN, it is not unusual for a linear power supply to have a THD of 30% (or more). This is not debatable. It is the case. It is well known. It is easily measured. That 30% THD means there are higher frequencies on the power line.

Is that "noise"? When looked at only from a standpoint of AC line harmonics, yes. Does that mean it is bad? Debatable. There is a reason why some amplifiers don’t recommend power filters, which would reduce harmonic distortion on the AC line.

Here is a thought exercise for you and Delkal. Can a battery only supply power at DC or will the frequency of the power draw be exclusively a factor of the load?

audiozenology
"
I do find your post rude, ignorant and disrespectful and it shows you lack knowledge in this area. I really do not know why you chose to post your disrespectful, inaccurate, and inflammatory post. The AC supply VOLTAGE is 60Hz"

I am sorry to have hurt you're feelings you are obviously a pensive, thoughtful, sensitive person I can only suggest, recommend, and advice you that when you make patently false, inaccurate, misinformed statements you should anticipate and expect that other contributors hear will respond with a proper response. if you seek a "safe space" where you're feelings can be nurtured, protected, and shielded from reality then you may wish to be cautious and circumspect when promoting you're unique technical explanations that conflict with established science and engineering principals. 

In this most recent post it is NOT TRUE that AC supply voltage is 60 Hz you are confusing voltage and frequency these are two very different things and your claim, assertion, and argument reflect a a fundamental ignorance of electricity.
Act-u-ally the real point is frequency and oscillation are not synonymous. The other point you guys are missing is the audio signal in wire is not a vibration.