Thiel and tubes

I currently have an audio research d-60 amplifier powering a pair of thiel 1.6. I was looking to replace the audio research amplifier just with something different to change things up. I was offered an interesting trade for it. 2 Dared VP-10 mono blocks. I have often wanted to play with tubes but had a fear that the power thirsty thiels would not like tubes. Other components in my system are a classe 20 preamp, a sony dvp-s7700 cd, and an older technics TT. I just bought the thiels this year and I am kind of scared that with tubes I will be taking a step backwards. Would maybe having a tube source and pre with a ss power amp be a better idea.

So I guess my question is, "is a 10 watt tube amp recommended with thiels".
tiggerpooh
No, with the 1.6's which I believe is more efficient than there other speakers this would still not be enogh juice. You might get away with 60-70 Watts ie Conrad Johnson Premier 11a or MV 60SE, but not 10watts (IMO). I only used Conrad Johnson for reference as I am familier with there product line.

Of course having said that, what kind of music you listen to and how loud you listen to it as well as room size and acoustics are the deciding factors.

I have a pair of 3.6's and drove them for a short period with a Premier 11a. It did a very nice job but ultimately bought a CJ MF2500a (250 / channel)ss amp. It has much better control of the speakers in all aspects of the music. I listen to classical and female jazz vocals in a fairly large room with decent acoustics.

In the end you can always call Thiel and ask for their opinion. But I bet they will tell you the same thing I just said.

Chuck

Chuck
I wouldnt recommend a tube-only setup for the Thiels unless they would produce 100wpc minimum-They are extremely power hungry _Ive owned both the 2.4 and 3.6- If you want them to play with a lot of depth and clarity you can never have too much power- just MHO
Tiggerpooh

Read my thread titled "Conrad Johnson Premier 350ss vs Premier 140". Should give you a pretty good idea of Thiels and power requirements.

Chuck