Thiel cs2.4 upgrade to cs 2.4 se

I'm currently using thiel cs2.4. Any master can advise on how to upgrade to cs2.4se by changing its capacity? May i know the value and specs of the capacitors? What is the sound difference between cs2.4 vs dc2.4se? Tq
desmond888

Resurrecting an older thread here.

I just picked up a pair of CS2.4 as a secondary set of main speakers. Primary speakers are big Sound Lab M1 electrostats. I had a set of CS7.2s for a few months that I tried in my system. For the life of me, I couldn’t get them to sound right despite ample front end electronics and room treatment. They just sounded lean in the mid bass and as much as I wanted to love them, the Sound Labs sounded *much* better in every respect.

But these 2.4s, for some reason, sound wonderful. In some ways, I prefer them to the 7.2s. They don’t really compare to the 7’ tall Sound Labs in terms of sheer sound quality but there is something special about relatively small speakers throwing a huge sound stage and virtually disappearing in a listening room. I’m really impressed by them and ordered outriggers from Rob a Coherent Source Servicing. Also ordered the cap upgrade kit but they may take longer to arrive due to supply chain issues overseas. Regardless, it’s nice to listen to Thiels again considering they were my first taste of high end audio back in the 90s while I was in college. Lots of fond memories with the company having a special place in my heart. Over the last 25yrs, I’ve owned 1.2, 2 2, 3.6. 7.2 and now 2.4s.

Rest of the system consists of Manley Neo Classic 225 amps, ARC SP16, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Aurender server, MIT oracle cabling and a u-haul load of ASC room treatment/traps.

spathak94506

Feel free to join us over on the Thiel Owners thread. I look forward in reading more about your Musical tastes. Nice system around the CS 2.4 loudspeakers.

Happy Listening!

spathak94506,

I have the 7.2 and 2.4 as well. The big Thiel's need room to breath compared to the 2.4. Also they need a monster amp. The big Krell and Pass Labs mate very well. 

What finish were your CS7.2?

desmond888

Are you out there? How about giving an update on your system?

Happy Listening!

I believe my 7.2s were finished in White Oak.   They were the original pair reviewed by TAS back in the day.   I purchased the entire system from Mike Kuller (one of their reviewers).  The set up was as synergistic as it could be but I just couldn't get them to sound balanced.   Tried some heavy duty Krell monoblocks and a couple top shelf pre-amps but they still sounded lean.  I ended up keeping some parts of his system (Manley NeoClassic maps, cables/interconnects and lots of room treatments).  But the 7.2s were sold.   Been listening exclusively to my Sound Labs since then.   But these little 2.4s are delightful.  And much easier to move around :)