Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
128x128jafant
Bill - I evaluated and graded the models in context of my XO upgrade project. For starters, all the products are worthy; each was Thiel's best work at any point in time. However, some were more successful or more fully realized than others. In general, the more recent products are better due to continual learning. I have chosen models that were technical and market winners. Generally, they are the most recent of each series-type. The technologies constantly evolved, plus more recent products usually have larger quantities and better spare parts availability. All that said, your biggest liability with low-count / older products is driver availability for repair. Check with Rob at CSS regarding driver availability before buying anything.

The 5, 6 and 7 series remain hypothetical in the upgrade project. The 5 has some interest, but huge upgrade issues and small numbers. No interest expressed in the 6 or 7.2. The XO project is in its infancy, so we don't know what will develop.

The x.7 series are most recent and parts are available; not many were sold. Best of form and possibly collectable.

In the 3- series, the model 3.6 was an all-time high seller with mature technologies. The 3.5 has a strong following, but the drivers are no longer available, so beware. Also, although the equalized bass is sealed-box / low-order and natural sounding, its single driver configuration restricts its output. So a modest room and listening levels are required.

In the 2- series, the 2.4 is the darling. The 2.3 can be found cheap for reasons including transitional technology. The 2.4 coax driver eclipsed the performance and reliability of the 2.3 coax. The 2.4 is our first upgrade hot-rod XO due to its larger numbers and greater finesse.
I am also addressing the 2.2 as a personal favorite of mine, and I have the final prototype pair.

In the 1- series, I have chosen the model 1.6 as the most mature of the series: best drivers, highest count, etc. Earlier 1.xs will work well and can often be found for pretty short money.

I am also addressing the PowerPoint 1.2 as a stunningly effective product with room to upgrade. Its niche was home theater, but I use it as studio monitors. Again, due to my personal appreciation and interest.
Similarly, I have the 02 final prototype pair and will upgrade it.

As a company, Thiel applied the same design goals to every product. The personality of each model is unchanged through its generations. We were definitely product / performance driven rather than market-responsive. Such an approach is unusual; it gives you, the user access to any and all models having essentially the same objectives, albeit with varying levels of success. Welcome to the journey. 
Classical music and chamber music. I have more than 1000 SACDs combined with Netflix 5.1 movies. I am using three thiel 2.2 for the main and two .5 for the rear. Ideal would be five Thiel 2.2s for the complete SACD 5.0 system. But nothing is perfect in real world. So i can live with current setting.
I caution those that plan to use Thiel floor standers for nearfield listening. All Thiel floor standers need at least 8' from speaker to listener for proper driver integration and ergo time coherence, a classic Thiel hallmark.
junzhang10
A very nice collection of SACDs. I own about 200 and a mix of Classical, Jazz and Rock.  Happy Listening!
jafant - thanks for inviting me over from AVS

rosami - I echo your comment about what I've found in this thread, scanning back just a few pages. Great people, great info! As to your comment about your amp being "only" X watts...I have come to agree that quality can easily trump quantity. In my 2 channel set up, I drive KEF Reference 3's with a Pass Labs INT-60 which is "only" 60W into 8-ohms, the first 30 of which are Class A. Lemme tell you, the sound is extraordinary, and capable of volume far beyond levels I enjoy listening! 

Tomthiel/folks in general - I see a lot of posts about changing the crossover in the 3.6's, but haven't found a post detailing how and why doing so is better..? Not arguing the point, just asking as a new guy. Please be gentle :)  

In one theater I use a pair of 3.6's, the larger center...can't recall the model...MCS1? and 4 Powerplane 1.2s, all driven by Krell. 

In another, I use 3 PowerPoint 1.2's for L/C/R, and 4 Powerplane 1.2s. I'll refrain, for the moment, of saying what I use to drive them, though the answer may surprise and anger people :D

Anyway, would be interested to hear (ha!) what the upgrades might yield.