Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
128x128jafant

brayeagle

Are you close to the Baltimore/D.C./VA tri-area?  Or, further North?

Happy Listening!

Large threads like this are good for maintaining a specific community. On the other hand, large threads like this can become cumbersome to sort through for very specific considerations.

With that said, let me again point out, as I oft have; that over generalized recommendations about amp compatibility with Thiel’s can be misleading.

In past times, Thiel recommended amp brands for the speakers made at the time. Later models have different powering needs. Those previous recommendations may no longer apply to later model Thiel’s.

I’d also suggest caution in reading too much into what Thiel or any other manufacturer used at shows. One might assume that accompanying gear was specifically hand selected by the manufacturer to demonstrate the utmost capabilities of their own gear. The truth often is; that rather than transporting crates of heavy equipment over great distances, the manufacturers depend on local dealers to assist in providing gear for demonstrations. Those local dealers might have their own convenience or agenda at the top of their priority list.

Not to pick on any specific brands, but the some of the often recommended amps from companies such as Ayre, Bryston, Pass, PS Audio, etc. might work wonderfully with some Thiel’s, but are not designed or spec’d by those very manufactures, (independent testing, such as those found in Stereophile will also confirm this) for the sub 4 Ohm loads of some later model Thiel’s.

Be wary of dealers selling(!) you otherwise.

Laser - I, also, have not heard either speaker, but can provide a broad outline. As time progressed, each model line (1,2,3, etc.) benefited from accumulating knowledge and solutions. So, in some ways, the latest speaker was the greatest due to benefiting from newly developed technologies, usually in higher-numbered series. The 3.6 is 1993; its tweeter is from the 1988 CS5, and the other drivers are then-state-of-the-art Thiel designs. A 1996 midrange XO change smoothed out the upper midrange. Considered an all-time great. The 2.4 is 2003; its tweeter is from the 7.2 with double-cone coincident coax ideas from the 7s. So, even though the 2.4 is for smaller rooms with less bass capability, it possesses more advanced technological solutions than the 3.6. The 2.4 is an audiophile darling.

If your room is large, you like deep, loud bass and can sit farther away (at least 8'), the the 3.6 might suit you better. If smaller space, closer position and with more delicacy, the the 2.4 might do better.  By the way, they are both on the hot-rod upgrade list for future upgradibility. Beetle and Holco have tricked out their 2.4s. Note that the 3.6 has relatively less room for improvement than the 2.4. The 3.6 stock parts quality is higher.

I hope I haven't buried you in TMI. Context sometimes helps some people wade through complex comparisons. There is no substitute for your own ears, if you can arrange to hear them both.