Thoughts on the Supratek Chardonnay

I'd just like some input as to your experiences, good or bad, with the Chardonnay. I use an Audio Research SP16L right now with an Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono and Dynaudio Contour MKII speakers. Cabling is Pro9+ for speakers and MagicLink and Prosilways. Is the Chardonnay really that good?
canucks0
I had one of the first Syrahs. After about six months one channel went out. It was going to cost me $350 in shipping to have it repaired by Supratek. Being a friend of John Tucker's, I ask if he might be able to repair it. He did so. I know of two additional Syrahs that he repaired. This was very early in production of this unit.
I know of a few Supratek's which have needed repairs - including my first Chardonnay - several years ago. In my case, Mick covered the costs to repair locally. My Cortese has been flawless.

Sound wise, it totally depends on the tubes you use. The Supratek can go from annoyingly sterile to deep-dark and overly lush. But regardless of tonal balance, the Supratek remains lively and overall is a "pretty" sounding preamp - which tends to make the rest of your system sound better.

Not-so-good CD players sound better - really good CD players sound good - but not as good as I imagine they could if the Supratek was more transparent - having less character.

I think you'd prefer the Supratek to the ARC.
Ecclectique, I said what I said as a result of the question asked. Unlike yours and BWhite's posted elsewhere, mine is quite measured I thought.
Arkio, I agree, I think it is a bargain at $3000 compared to others I've heard.

I think Bwhite's assessment is right on the money. Once you find a combination of tubes that suits your system it is a piece you can easily live with. Veiled is way too strong a word to describe it, but it tends to go in that direction.