Tonearm mount to the plinth vs arm board vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower

Hello,

I am rebuilding a Garrard 301 and looking for a plinth. I am planning to buy 3-4 tonearms to try. I would like to know which is the best way moving forward.

Is there a difference between mounting a tonearm directly on a solid plinth vs arm board (same vs different materials) vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower. 

Thanks
Nanda
kanchi647
My turntable however, sits on a HERZAN ACTIVE ISOLATION STAND which cancels all vibrations from 0.5Hz-100Hz.

Very good - but I prefer my music full range, if I didn’t want to hear anything below 100hz I would listen to Tin Cans.

Your herzan cant move fast enough to remove all vibration - its superficial.

Nice story....🤗
Unfortunately....a fairytale 🤥

Thank you, I like fairy stories.

For those of a technical bent, and who like fairy stories, google SPZ and grain sliding - there is plenty of interesting research from reputable institutions such as Cranfield et al. You are right with 4hz - I meant 10hz-100hz

Granite rings like a bell due to its crystalline structure.
Can you please explain its crystalline structure which enables this?
Is it similar to bronze or CAST-IRON which are in fact used for bells?
Should you perhaps inform Toho who foolishly made their TURNTABLE CRADLESfrom cast-iron....🤔
"Ring like a bell" is a euphemism for nasty resonance that induces ear cancer. If you cant hear it then you are good to go. By the way, the german word for ear cancer is ohrenkrebs.

Your herzan cant move fast enough to remove all vibration - its superficial.
Quick....we need to advise all those scientists looking through electron microscopes sitting on Herzan stands....🤣

ISOLATION 'OFF'

ISOLATION 'ON'
Halcro.
Quite a number of people have reported on the efficacy of the Herzan stands and their equivalents.
Out of curiosity what do the three graphs, V, H1 & H2 represent? Velocity and frequency?

How does the stand reduce self noise in the TT structure itself?
@richardkrebs 
The V stands for 'Vertical Vibrations' (Up and Down)
H1 stands for 'Horizontal Vibrations in One Plane' (Side to Side)
H2 stand for 'Horizontal Vibrations in the Other Plane (Side to Side).
Therefore providing Vibration Isolation in the Six Degrees of Freedom.
The vibration isolation performance for both platforms is made possible by its unique technology, consisting of piezoelectric sensors, actuators, and control electronics. These carefully engineered components (Made in Switzerland) allow the platforms to dynamically respond to vibrations in the environment, enabling sub-hertz vibration isolation (starting at 0.5 Hz) in all six degrees of freedom.
How does the stand reduce self noise in the TT structure itself?
I don't believe it can......
In WTB Forum....there are several interesting Threads which appear to show that Active Isolation Stands may have problems with the 'self-noise' or 'self-vibrations' of Belt-Drive or Idler-Drive Turntables.
Direct-Drive Turntables appear to have no problems with self-noise or movement generation.