Tube vs SS vs Digital

I've read a lot of the older posting on Tube vs SS, and they are now about 3 years old. I am looking at making a change with my amp/preamp. I would like some advice. Budget is about $15k.

From a tube perspective, I am considering something like a Rogue M-180 and a Cary SLP-05.

From a SS perspective, I am considering something like a Classe' CA-M600 and a CP-800.

From a Digital perspective, something like a Bel Canto REF 1000M and a preamp from Ayre.

My concern is this: my local dealer mentioned that I should stay away from tubes as he has seen tubes "blow up" and ruin good speakers. Really?

I would like to get some opinions on the best route to go and possible brands/models/combinations.

Speakers are Revel Salon 2. Source is Rega RP3 TT and Oppo 95.

Thanks!
mbovaird
as ralph karsten has said, the problem with ss amps is odd order harmonics.

i have been searching for a ss amp, but ralph reminded me why i don't like them.

maybe there is a ss amp with minimal odd order harmonics, but i haven't found one which works well with panel speakers.
Mr.T, your Quad electrostatics are a different animal altogether than the Revels. The Quads (and most electrostatics) will tend to sound brighter with solid state amplification than with tube amplification, which is the opposite of how the Revels will behave.

Regards,
-- Al
The Revels are tricky to drive with tubes though- it seems like they need a lot of power.

Any thought to getting different speakers??
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. No chance of getting different speakers for the foreseeable future. Maybe Quads one day or KEF 207/2 or B&W - all would be on par with what I have now, with there own strengths and weaknesses no double So, unlikely.

My reaction was similar to what many of you said. The requirements of the Revel's would lead me down the SS path. I think the Classe' 600 mono blocks are something to consider. Rave reviews and they certainly should be able to handle the Revel Salon 2's.

As a side, I did purchase the Classe' CP-800 preamp. What an amazing piece. I am delighted with it. The sound is head and shoulders above anything else I've heard at two or three times the price. It's functionality is unique, if not revolutionary. If you have not seen/heard it, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Mike