Using RCA & XLR connections at same time on Amp

I have been looking for a quality CD player to add to my system. Currently, I have a Pass 3x amp and a Naim av2 processor driving Joseph 22's.

The problem is that I use an Arcam Diva as both my dvd & cd player. So, I was thinking, what if I got a Mark Levinson 39. As it has the processor built in, I could leave the 5-DIN to RCA connections to AV2 for the Arcam DVD player and utilize the XLR connections from the ML to XLR connections on the Pass Amp. This way, I bypass the Naim unit entirely and use the theoretically better ML for two channel.

Is there a reason why this does not work. I was told by a Pass/Wadia dealer it would not work, why?

Also, I know Wadia and Mark Levinson have direct volume control and XLR connections, what other CD players have this processor functionality and have XLR connections?

Please advise.
yetis
Warning: Some amps, especially those that are not truly balanced share some parts at the balanced/unbalanced ports. So, while you are using balanced, you might be sending a signal back up the line to the unbalanced components. The switch, in this case, is not designed as a 'cut-off', but more like a router.

If you happen to have both systems on at the same time, you might be in for some serious, big time trouble.

I understand McIntosh would be one case where you must avoid this.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!
I'm doing the same w/ Bryson 7b-st's, I think you should be O.K. w/ your Pass. Yet just to be on the save side I would take good ol'e UncleJeff's advice. Call or email Nelson Pass & see? Good luck!
If the amp does not have selector switch on the back for RCA/XLR, then it is very likely that the inputs are common (+ for RCA = + for XLR). Therefore, you do not want to connect two sources to the amp at the same time. This will essentially short the two sources together. If they are low-impedance, this could do damage. At a minimum, the sound will suck because of the loading caused by the other source.
I've done something similar, it works but sound quality varies, which I think was due to impedance mis-matching.
I've used PS HCA-2 which is balanced and have both RCA and XLR inputs. I've hooked up my Wadia 301 using XLR to XLR of HCA-2 and front L/R pre-outs from my Parasound processor using RCA to RCA of HCA-2. Just turned off the Parasound when I was using the Wadia, worked perfect.

The difference I've noticed was that if I don't turn off the Parasound and switch the source to a input which is not hooked up and play the cd player, sound level, resolution, bass evrything was higher. But if I turn it off and just use the cd player, sound level just drop and I've increase the volume level on Wadia.

I ended up getting a pre-amp with HT bypass and everything is perfect now. I run the Wadia with full volume through the pre-amp, get bigger soundstage, better resolution. I may lose some detail as Wadia is better in detail if you run direct to an amp.

I think you should try a pre-amp with HT bypass like PS PCA-2, ML 38/380. There may be others, I sure someone can provide you with some advice. Try to audition using a pre-amp before you buy a new cd player.
Rkmca - what you are doing may sound okay in some cases, but it is a really bad idea.